1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help with modding plastic for touchscreen

Discussion in 'Modding' started by antonyand, 5 Jan 2011.

1. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

I come accross a small issue with my new build(see sig). Have just had delivery of new centre console for the car and a nice 7" touch screen for control upfront.

My issue is that the centre console has a small hole for a sat nav unit and i need to increase this space for the touch screen.

Dimensions of the hole at the moment is 105mm by 75mm (roughly) and the screen is a fair bit bigger, at 15mm by 95mm.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picture a fair bit of work needs to be done.

So my question is, Should i give it a go and do all the work? Or does anyone know somebody who would be able to do the job?

I'd be happy to give it a go but never worked much with plastics and i'm a little worried about the final finish if i gave it a go.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

1. cutting the console to make the TFT fit into place
    2. filling unwanted holes and adding desired shape with fibreglass and resin
    3. smoothen the whole thing with filler/putty
    4. painting in desired colour

Isn't really hard to do, but requires a little bit of patience to get a good result ofc.

3. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

Any sugestions on the bits i would need?

Really don't mind doing the work just want a good finish as i want it to look at factory as possible.