1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help with new wireless set up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sk8phreak88, 16 Sep 2006.

1. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Hey guys, hows it goin? well last night I went and picked up a new laptop (HP DV8309us if your wondering what one) Now I've pretty much got everything set up the way I would like...The wireless internet works, Media Cener is up and running just fine, ect. Now, while my internet is working great and fast, I can't access my home network. I've got everything set up to automatic. like I said, the internet works fine (I'm typing this post on my lappy right now) But I just can't get onto the network to stream my videos/music and pictures..

ok, now I'm not sure what all you guys will need to help me figure this out (model numbers and what not but I'll try to get what I think you would need)

The router is a Netgear WGR614v6
    and then my laptops card is Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN -This is a built in card*

So, what else do you guys need to figure out what the problem is? I know my way arround computers, but when it comes to networks, Im lost. :sigh:

EDIT: sorry after reading my post, it makes it sound like i'm a d*ck, I dont mean to make it sound like "HELP ME NOW OR ELSE" atleast thats what it seems like to me, sorry guys but I'm anxious to get this beast up and running.

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, if you want to share stuff, you need to enable filesharing and set up actual shares... Since you haven't mentioned them in your post, I think that's your problem... Nothing to share ;)

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

There's also an option on some wireless routers called 'wireless isolation' or similar.
    This prevents wireless machines accessing wired machines.

We'll need to know:-
    How they're connected (wired/wireless etc)
    Their IP addresses etc (DHCP used? computer names? in same workgroup?)
    Can they ping each other?
    Do they have firewalls running on them preventing file-sharing or ICMP traffic?
    Is there any shares set up?

:)

4. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

!

Thanks for the fast replies guys! ok, first off. I've got files shared. I can get to my sisters, brothers and my 3 from any of them just fine.

My setup is kind of weird but it goes from the cable modem to the router (which is where the wireless abilities are) then I have 3 ports going to computers and the 4th port going to an 5port hub which then goes to the rest of the systems around the house.

Computer names and IP's are:
    Gizmo-192.168.1.2
    Laptop-192.168.1.6
    Adam-192.168.1.4

Workgroup=MSHOME

Now I just found out that after looking arround on my main desktop, I can see the files on the laptop.. But I still cannot see the home network on my laptop..

Does that stuff help you guys out at all? Thanks a bunch guys!

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I'd check the firewall on your laptop, make sure it's accepting incoming connections for fileserving (IIRC tcp:445, but it will probably be named, just not checked)

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

So it seems that the router is assigning IPs to all the machines?
    So they should all be on the same subnet.

Can they ping each other ok?

7. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

ok, well I took it over to my friends and guess what.. I connected right up to their damn network. So it's got to be my router.. I'm not sure what setting it is... Sorry to be such a noobie guys but I don't even know how to ping each other off the top of my head. I'll search it up when I've got some more time later tonight. Thanks guys

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

When you say it's not seeing the other computers what do you mean?

Have you tried going to Run and typing \\gizmo\ or another computer name for example?

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Ping:

click start->run
    type cmd and press return
    type 'ping 192.168.0.2' without the quotes and press return
    Do this from the laptop and it will tell you if the laptop can 'see' the gizmo machine.

One word of warning, if you're using DHCP there's no guarantee that gizmo will still be 192.168.0.2 if it's been rebooted.
    In the command prompt, you can type 'ipconfig /all' without the quotes to see all the relevant info regarding IPs etc.

On your router, look for anything involving ICMP traffic and ensure its allowed otherwise pings won't work.

Also, possibly under wireless settings, there may be something called 'wireless isolation'.
    This prevents communication between wired and wireless clients.

Let us know which machines can/can't ping each other. :)

10. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

All of the machines are able to ping eachother, no problems doing that.

11. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Ok. so I still haven't figured out the problem.. All the systems can ping each other just fine. But now after going to my friends house and connecting to his network, I still have all of their network places showing up, but i'm not connected to their network. I thought it was just a recent history or something, but now it's been 2 days and they are still there? The only thing that shows up for my own network is "residential gateway" which when I click brings me to the router settings page. This is really starting to get annoying cause i've got Tons of music that I'd like to get to when I'm outside working on my car or having a fire.. Any body have any more ideas what it could be? or is there any more information that I could give you that might help you figure out what it is?

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Try refreshing the network area. That used to help for me...

I still think it is a firewall problem... You sure they all allow connections?

13. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Yep, I just went and turned on all the fire walls and then turned the back off.. Still no go. How ever it finaly did refresh and stop showing my friends network.

EDIT:

Ok, after fooling with a few settings, now if I go to "view work group computers" I see all of the ones on my network. But when I click on them, they say
    " //gizmo is not accessible you might not have permision to use this network resource."
    Then it says logon failure: the user has not granted the requested logon type at this computer

But i've gone through and all the options for sharing files, internet, printers ect. are all clicked on all of the computers..

14. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

just as a control test. disconect you internet connection, and disable all of your firewalls on the various devices and computers. yes all of them.

then try and access gizmo or any of the other devices.

if your able to connect then its a firewall issue.

if you arent able to connect then its more then likely an addressing issue.

the other thing is ditch the hub. replace it with a switch if you can.
    i cant tll you the number of times iv had trouble access a system because for whatever reason the hub was causing problems.

if its a rights issue like you mentioned in your last post make sure that read permissions are set for "everyone" if that too insecure for your tastes then create an account on each machine that is the same username and password as the machine you are trying to access them from. this way windows will use the current login information to log you onto the other machines.

good luck dude

15. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Ok guys, I have NO firewalls what so ever going, And i still can't get to the damn files on my laptop.. But on my desktop, I can see all the shared folders and use them as I please... So I'm going to assume it's something to do with the wireless routing? Pleasse help guys, let me know if there is any more info that I can help you with! Thanks guys

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Try enabling the guest account

Tags: