1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows help with NTFS FAT problem?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MadD_b0mBeR, 28 Jan 2004.

1. MadD_b0mBeR

MadD_b0mBeR What's a Dremel?

Hey there chaps... i have a problem at work, we just got a new laptop, which i installed win98SE on. we need to transfer files across using a floppy disk from the win2k machines, 'i thought no problem, they all use fat12 anyway'... it seems i was wrong. If i format a disk in the lappy, then take it up to the other win98 machines, we have no problem, i can transfer files. if i format a floppy in the lappy and put it in the win2k machine, i get a 'cylinders' error or something when i try to copy files to it. If i format a floppy in the 2k machine, copy some files onto it, then stick it in the lappy, it says that the disk is un-formatted, do i want to format it?

help me pls... its driving me a bit nuts. Its a compaq m300, with the floppy and CD drive on the dockingstation (which we dont remove). Seems a bit strange to me.

2. Blame582

Blame582 What's a Dremel?

win2k should be able to read the fat32 formatted floppy of the laptop
    98se cant read NTSF

theres a program that lets win98 read NTSF so do a google search :duh:

3. MadD_b0mBeR

u may have already noticed, i have tried reading the floppys that were formatted in 98se in the 2k machine, and it doesnt work. i KNOW it should, but it doesnt. i also know that there are convertor utilities around too... but i spent all damn morning searching for them, and also searching for anyone else who has had a similar problem, all to no avail. i do know how to use google u know, and tried it first, like all good Bit-Tech'ers

4. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

can you just share the files across a network? Then just copy them over to the machine you need them on

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Umm, dumb obversation, but all window's os's since 3.1x have formatted floppies the same way with the same file system :idea: I transfer files on floppys between my XP machine, 2k pro, and other 98se machines I've got strewn about without any problems whatsoever. Have you tried other floppies? What about other floppy drives?

6. MadD_b0mBeR

no, i cant transfer the files to the laptop over the network, 1) they use the laptop holding it in there hands, so cables are a serious problem 2) it doesnt even have a network card in it anyway.

i know malfoleo, i thought that they all used fat12 too, i have tried diff floppies, and different machines. same thing happens. format in 2k machine, it will work in 2k, put disk in 98se laptop, says the disk is unformatted. format disk in laptop, put disk in 2k machine and try to copy files get a cylinders error (wrong number of cylinders or something). oh, a further thing, the users dont have any admin rights on the 2k machine, and its using an NTFS file system. i know it shouldnt make ANY difference! thats why im confused!

managed to transfer files using a flash disk, surely these are formatted to fat32/16, and should give MORE errors? problem with the laptop drive? yet it works on other 98 machines :eyebrow: driving me a bit nuts. :waah: :sigh:

7. MadD_b0mBeR

no1 have any ideas??? :grr:

8. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

You've stumped me dude... I would say get a wireless card to put in it, but that's me :)

9. MadD_b0mBeR

yeah, and that also costs money, when we can get 16mb USB flash drives for £10. was looking at a bios update, but it wont let me as it says 'needs to be under AC power' to do it, when it is :sigh:

Tags: