1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Dennis1234567, 19 Sep 2018.

1. Dennis1234567

Dennis1234567 New Member

Oh man do i need some advice. I have an unusual and silly problem. Five years ago i was told i have something ugly killing my nervous system. As my body degrades i'm going to rely on my computer and internet more and more, hell it's going to become a vital part of my life.

Because it's going to be vital to me i decided to dump my off the shelf pile of junk and build a computer that's is functional for the ten to fifteen years i have left. Now i've hit a snag regarding CPU cooling. I've tried two AiO units that have failed miserably in cooling a heavily overclocked i7 6700k and i'm now looking in the direction of something external, perhaps a radiator/pump all in one job. Having trawled the net i can only find butt ugly combo units with poor performance reviews. Are chiller units any good? I have built my system to look good and i don't want to deviate from that. I'm stuck, and would be grateful for any advice

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Custom water cooling is going to require maintenance, which I would worry about with your condition. I would highly advise a reliable, high-end air cooler and stick with that.

Whereabouts are you based? One would assume the US due to the time stamp on your post, but I could be wrong.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

If you're putting big overclocks on a 6700k, you should consider delidding it and getting some liquid metal in there. Can take 10-15c off the temps.

Custom watercooling can be fiddly as heck, so you would want to stick to an aio or decent air cooler like dark rock pro 3/4 or noctua d14/15

Last edited: 19 Sep 2018
  4. silk186

silk186 Derp

I see a few issues with what you are trying.
    computers don't last 10-15 years without replacing/upgrading parts.
    with heavy overclocking, you are going to have issues long before 10 years.
    Water cooling requires maintenance, AIO don't last forever. Air coolers are the most reliable, even if a fan fails or you forget to blow out your system once in a while.
    Unless you are doing something that requires a large number of threads, you would be better off with an i5 or similar, upgrading every 5-7 years.

5. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Active Member

As stated by the others, you may well see issues arising well before 10 years with a heavy overclock and custom water.
    You could get by with a well designed and easily accessible fill port, but you would probably still need to completely empty-clean-refill at some point. With a heavy overclock, I would be worried about the motherboards' VRM's and capacitors, as this is the component most likely to go if continuously stressed, even though the CPU will probably hold up if there's not too much voltage going through it. If that goes, it's total rebuild time anyway.

I'd look for something at stock, which would give you the best chance if you want longevity, if you need cores/threads then Ryzen would be a good bet, especially as they will support the socket for the next few years?

6. Dennis1234567

Dennis1234567 New Member

Thank you for your replies.Sorry about the late reply, It was ugly treatment time. Water-cooling idea dumped