1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here comes Rita

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dad, 20 Sep 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

This is getting insane. :sigh:

From weather.com:
    Tropical Storm Rita should become a hurricane by late Monday or early Tuesday. Rita is expected to batter the Florida Keys and western Cuba on Tuesday. Hurricane warnings are now posted for the Keys from Ocean Reef to the Dry Tortugas including Florida Bay and for the extreme southern Florida Peninsula from Golden Beach southward to Florida City and westward to East Cape Sable. Hurricane warnings are in effect for portions of the northwest Bahamas and parts of west-central Cuba. A tropical storm warning and hurricane watch are in effect for portions of south Florida outside the areas under hurricane warnings. Tropical storm warnings extend all the way to Lake Okeechobee. Residents of the Florida Keys and those in mobile homes across southeast Florida should evecuate.

Storm surge flooding of 6 to 9 feet above normal tide levels is possible in the Keys in areas of onshore flow. Heavy surf will accompany the surge. Rainfall amounts of 6 to 10 inches are expected, although isolated totals of up to 15 inches may occur.

Rita is expected to continue on a westward course into the Gulf of Mexico, quite likely powering up into a very dangerous major hurricane (winds over 110 mph) by midweek. All residents along the western Gulf from extreme northern Mexico to Louisiana should pay close attention to the future of Rita.

Projected path:
    [​IMG]

2. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

My god when will they stop...

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

When the world of men is ended :sigh:

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This is going to suck.

[​IMG]

Well, we've already made all our plans. We have supplies. I'm ready to grab our bin of important paperwork, the computers, the pets and the wife and head to my brothers place in Spring (just north of Houston).

-monkey

5. BeerDrinkinDwarf

BeerDrinkinDwarf What's a Dremel?

they're everywhere!!! stay safe man

6. dom_

dom_ --->

am i missing something? from the looks of it you will get a windy storm at your house

7. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

stay safe monkey

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Day After Tomorrow, anyone? :worried:

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

When hurricanes enter the Gulf of Mexico, because of the relatively warm water, the hurricane will intensify. This is exactly what Katrina did. When Katrina hit S. Florida, it was a category 1, just like Rita, but when it entered the Gulf of Mexica, it intensified to a category 5 with 180+ mph winds. This is the pattern 99% of all hurricanes follow when they enter the Gulf. When I was watching the morning news, they were calling for everyone to evacuate New Orleans again.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Look out the window, Roy...
    GW, oil is a fossil fuel...gasoline too...and diesel...and you're saying give all the developing nations nuclear technology? Have you checked that with your bosses?

Global warming is happening, no doubt whatsoever. I grow plants considered 'tender' 20 years ago; now they survive most winters, along with the pests. But it's got too windy for a reliable crop of runner beans or other tall plants.

The only argument is whether or not we can slow it down by limiting the human contribution. To do nothing for the next 70 years will solve things nicely - we'll all be dead, all the oil and coal will have gone, and the grandkids will have to deal with it. :sigh:

11. Nexxo

Yeah, seems kinda strange that GW wants to pursue this while the US government has just managed to talk N. Korea out of its nuclear programme in exchange for oil... and is rather nervous about Iran's nuclear programme. Sounds to me the idiot doesn't know what the numbskull is doing, or more likely, it is just more empty rhetoric.

Which is just what we need right now. Although some scientists believe that it is too late anyway, and that we are already past the tipping point and we are steadily rolling downhill in a self-reinforcing chain reaction.

Now on a geological timescale the Earth has done extreme weather many, many times before, from Ice ages to global warming. In fact the last 500.000 years have been an unusually quiet spell. Perhaps we are gradually due another upheaval, although I am sure that we have helped things along a bit. The Earth will recover and find some kind of balance eventually; we, of course, will not.

But hey, Yellowstone could blow tomorrow. :D

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Heh, I was thinking of that the other day. By the way Nexxo, I love the new avatar. Tell us...is pi exactly 3?

If the predictions for Rita are correct, it should be along the same lines as Hurricane Alicia that hit us in 1983 (Alicia was a category 3). I think I was in 1st grade at the time. I slept through that one and remember waking up to see our street littered with whole trees. The only damage we sustained was my teddy bear. Found him in the neighbor's yard with a stick through his crotch. My mom sewed him up and he sits, to this day, in the window.

Normally, I would ride out a hurricane of this size. However, I think everyone is choosing to err on the caution, not that I can blame them. My wife has never been through a hurricane, so she is very nervous at the moment. I figure the best thing to do is just remain calm, spend the night up north and come back the next day to pick up the debris.

And just last week my parents were telling me to get flood insurance!

-monkey

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

People, we have to remember that there isn't nearly enough data to say if global warming is the default contributer of the hurricane problem as there isn't very reliable data before the 1970's when satellites were available. In fact, there are many scientists who agree that as with every other event, the earth is going through a cycle of change, specifically it's called the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation or North Atlantic Oscillation. This isn't to say that "global warming" isn't a contributing factor in all this, but it's difficult to say that it's the root cause. In fact, many people question the reality of global warming itself. Even the UK's own BBC has an article questioning it's validity. I'm not saying that I question the reality of global warming, I'm only saying that there are arguments saying that humans are the problem and others that say it's a natural cycle of change.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Things are never black or white, much as some protagonists on both sides might claim. I did say "The only argument is whether or not we can slow it down by limiting the human contribution."

It's quite obvious we won't even try. The developing nations want energy-consuming "luxuries" like cars, air-conditioning and other heavy-industry goods, the developed ones won't cut their energy useage if it affects their life-style. Man is the most selfish animal.

15. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Didn't mean to imply that things are in fact black & white. My argument for the group is that there are arguments for and against global warming being a human cause. It's most likely a combination of many different factors, regular change, humans, bumblebees & the alignment of the stars.. ;)

I don't believe that is the problem. I kind of feel that you're refering to the Kyoto Treaty.. In my opinion, I think the trillions of dollars that the Kyoto Treaty will cost would be much better used on development and implementation of alternative energy. Doing that will help to eliminate the problem in the long-term, not just the short-term. But not being an expert, not reading the treaty and not fully understanding what it calls for, I can't really say for sure.

I couldn't agree more.

EDIT::
    Rita is now a category 2 storm with 100mph winds and a 6' surge. The coastline of Texas is in the process of evacuating. Meteorologists say that it could rival Katrina in strength when it makes landfall.. :\

Last edited: 20 Sep 2005
  16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This from Accuweather.com:
    The good news, for Houston, is that the path looks like it may go a little farther south than previously thought. Bad news for Corpus Christi, though.

They originally expected Rita to be a cat 1 going into the Gulf. She's now entering as a cat 2. The school district here has already announced school closings starting Wednesday. Johnson Space Center will close Wednesday at 5:00pm. NASA has already initiated liberal leave for the civil servants. Basically, if you want to leave now, go ahead. Contractors have to follow their company's specific plan.

Why am I getting a sinking feeling about this?

edit: Galveston, Tx just called for a mandatory evacuation.

-monkey

Last edited: 20 Sep 2005
  17. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Here's a good graph of what I was talking about in a previous post:

[​IMG]

18. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Another one? Gah! goodluck everyone!

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Nope, I can focus bang on events in the UK. On one hand we have road tax concessions for motorists with small cars, but on the other we have protests from local residents that stop 'cleaner' energy sources, such as wind farms or nuclear power stations, from being built in their neighbourhood. We have a moniker for it over here, Nimby, 'not in my backyard'. And local protests = lost votes = politician out of office = no further action.

With Kyoto we can blame the Yanks and the Aussies, which is nice, because we don't have to look at our own failings.

It's getting away from an impending hurricane, but I think they'll become a regular item on the news. I wouldn't buy land in that neck of the woods.

20. Nexxo

Yes, that's the one. That's what I referred to when I said: