1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here comes Rita

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dad, 20 Sep 2005.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or is there alot of bad things happening over the past few years? We had 4 hurricanes in 6 weeks hit last year (or something like that), now it looks like were having it even worse this year. Not only this, but the tsunami that hit asia a little while ago and the sudden buldging out in the middle of Utah (it was utah wasnt it?). Not only this but yellowstone is rising as well and has been rising a few inches every year. I normally dont believe in these sorts of things, but maybe the 2012 end of the mayan callender really does mean something.

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Really? Why is this a problem with local residents? Reason I ask is that there has been a huge push for alternative energy sources near me. In fact in Syracuse (~150k population 20 miles east of me), the residents voted by a vast majority to install large wind turbines near a lake to replace a large area near that has old, unused oil tanks. In addition, the residents in Auburn (~30k population 5 miles south) also voted by a nearly unanimous vote to install municipal thermo and hydro plants to replace the local utility, well okay, regional utility (NYSEG) who is the 2nd most expensive utility in the US behind Hawaii, who incedently burns coal. The general population of the US is in fact trying to promote the use of alternate energy especially in areas like mine who have traditionally the most expensive utilities.

I thought so, but didn't want to presume ;) Unfortunetely I have many relatives (and an x-wife) who believe what they are spoon fed by the media about global warming. The fact is that we are in an upward trand as far as BOTH global warming and storm activity are concerned. Okay, yea, maybe humans are having an impact on it all, but it's not the sole reason.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I can promise you we'll all be around in 2013.

And if I'm wrong, then try sueing me. :hip:
    The concensus is all in favour of these alternative sources, but put them somewhere I can't see them. Maybe we're just more crowded, somebody has to suffer a pylon in view. But let it be somebody else. Our selfish gene again.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2005
  4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Also, don't forget that Bible Code also states that the end of time is 2012 ;)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, there are also some scientists who give (in my opinion) really credible accounts on how the ozone hole is really just a product of natural fluctuations, and that human activity is not nearly making the impact we think it is.

6. _Fathom17_

_Fathom17_ What's a Dremel?

Just yesterday someone at work told me that when orleans was hit apparently korea had an earthquake that killed over 200 people. I'd not even seen or heard it on tv/radio.

Nexxo, david belamy is a firm believer of your point aswell.

7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

True.. But those are the only ones that people usually hear about ;)

Okay, update..

From cnn.com

Rita grows to Category 4 hurricane
    Evacuations ordered ahead of major storm

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Authorities in Texas and along the storm-shattered coast of Louisiana braced Wednesday for Hurricane Rita, as the powerful Category 4 storm picked up strength in the Gulf of Mexico.

The warm Gulf waters were fueling the storm, which has maximum sustained winds of 140 mph (225 kph).

The latest extended forecast from the National Hurricane Center predicted that Rita would likely make landfall Saturday somewhere on the Texas Gulf coast, but said it could hit Louisiana or northern Mexico. (Watch Galveston residents prepare for Rita -- 1:22)

At 11 a.m. ET, Rita's center was about 260 miles (418 kilometers) west of Key West, Florida, and 755 miles (1,215 kilometers) east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas.

Houston Mayor Bill White Wednesday called on residents in areas at risk for storm surge and those living in mobile homes to "begin making their evacuation plans."

[​IMG]

Well, it looks like it'll skirt the New Orleans area, but hit in an area where a lot of the people from Katrina evacuated to.

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Aye. The rest of the US is pushing to move away from using coal as a fuel while West Virginia is pushing for better, more efficent, cleaner burning coal uses. The mining industry makes up a huge amount of local income in the area. We're one of those states that everyone drives through, but nobody stops or stays....except for Bridge Day when people from all over the world come to jump off of the New River Gorge Bridge.

I wonder just how much of an area and how much damage Rita is going to effect. I reckon we'll find out on Saturday morning when the worst of it is over.

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, they are comparing it to Katrina in size and intensity. The "good" thing is that if it does hit Texas, there won't be nearly as much flooding since they are above sea level and don't have levee's to worry about. There will however most likely be serious coastal errosion. They're actually saying that it could hit cat 5 status when it makes landfall...

EDIT::
    Winds are now exceeding at 150mph as per the Weather Channel

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The official advisory comes in at 5:00 Eastern Time, 3:00 Pacific, and 11:00 Greenwich time; by then it may be a catagory five :eeek:

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

CNN is reporting that after Rita hits, it could cause gas to spike at $5.00/gallon.

Rita could equal $5 gas
    The timing and strength of the latest storm could cause worse spike at the pumps than Katrina did.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Remember when gas spiked to $3-plus a gallon after Hurricane Katrina? By this time next week, that could seem like the good old days.

Weather and energy experts say that as bad as Hurricane Katrina hit the nation's supply of gasoline, Hurricane Rita could be worse.

Katrina damage was focused on offshore oil platforms and ports. Now the greater risk is to oil-refinery capacity, especially if Rita slams into Houston, Galveston and Port Arthur, Texas.

"We could be looking at gasoline lines and $4 gas, maybe even $5 gas, if this thing does the worst it could do," said energy analyst Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover. "This storm is in the wrong place. And it's absolutely at the wrong time," said Beutel.

Michael Schlacter, chief meteorologist at Weather 2000, said Rita now appears most likely to hit between Port Arthur and Corpus Christi, Texas, sometime between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

Just about all of Texas's refinery capacity lies in that at-risk zone. (For a look at CNN.com's coverage of Hurricane Rita, click here.)

"There is no lucky 7-10 split scenario to use a bowling analogy," he said. "If you're [a refiner] within 200 miles, you're going to feel the effect."

more

Jesus friggin hell. If gas is expected to hit $5, there's no way I'll be able to afford to drive back and forth to work. As it is, I'm pushing $50ish per week at $3.19/gallon driving as little as I can and if it DOES hit $5, that will push me to at least $75/week.

12. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Wish me luck too! I live in Houston. Stay safe everyone. :waah:

Dinh.

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Update again...

CNN is reporting that Rita is now a category 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 165mph (265kph)...

Rita is now stronger than Katrina was when it made landfall and still 2-days out in the Gulf of Mexico. According to weather.com, "Further strengthening is possible as the atmosphere remains favorable for development over the next 24 hours." This means that Rita may break the records that Katrina just broke and winds may near 200mph when it hits southeast Texas late Friday or early Saturday. Just as a re-cap, when Katrina made landfall, it was a category 4 storm with 145mph winds. God I hope those people get the hell out of there.

This monster grew from a category 4 to a category 5 in 3 hours. Hell, it was a category 1 only 2 days ago. This may be veeeery bad...

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Good luck, Dinh.

Whoever is in Texas and environs, better get out now or bunker down. This is going to be some bad ju-ju. :(

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Id side with "get the hell out." Can you think of structures that will survive 200 mph winds? :worried:

16. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

17. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

HOLY ****! ---Sorry about the language, I feel soooo sorry for you guys down there, get the hell out!!!!

Good luck guys.

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

According to the Weather Channel, Rita is the 5th most powerfull hurricane from the Atlantic Basin in recorded history.

4th: Katrina @ 902mbar (millibar)
    5th: Rita @ 904mbar

The govenor of Texas is calling for manditory evacuations of the coastal region of Galveston to Corpus Cristi. Of course, there are people who were interviewed who think they'll be okay and refuse to leave. Don't these people know about what happened on the coast of Louisiana and Mississippi!?!? Idiots. :rolleyes:

19. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Last edited: 22 Sep 2005
  20. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Katrina? Sure about that? ;) Hehehe...

Absolutely incredible. I can't understand the thought process of the people who want to stick around and "ride it out".

Dr. Jeff Master's blog on Rita:
    The latest runs of two key computer models, the GFS and GFDL, now indicate that the trough of low pressure that was expected to pick up Rita and pull her rapidly northward through Texas will not be strong enough to do so. Instead, these models forecast that Rita will make landfall near Galveston, penetrate inland between 50 and 200 miles, then slowly drift southwestward for nearly two days, as a high pressure ridge will build in to her north. Finally, a second trough is forecast to lift Rita out of Texas on Tuesday. If this scenario develops, not only will the coast receive catastrophic damage from the storm surge, but interior Texas, including the Dallas/Fort Worth area, might see a deluge of 15 - 30 inches of rain. A huge portion of Texas would be a disaster area. The models are not suggesting this at all, but is also possible that Rita may not make landfall on Saturday as expected, but pull up just short of the Texas coast and pound it for days as it waits for the next trough to pick her up. We'll have to wait for the next set of model runs due out by tomorrow morning to know better.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2005