1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go again - Hurricane Ivan

Discussion in 'General' started by Dad, 9 Sep 2004.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From CNN:

Category-5 Hurricane Ivan
    10:45 A.M. ET Thu.,Sep.9,2004

Matthew Newman, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

While Frances continues to make flooding and clean-up headlines, much of the attention is now on Ivan. Hurricane Ivan is a powerful and deadly Category-FIVE hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale. After ravaging Barbados and Grenada, Ivan skirted Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao to the north, with its eyes set on Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. Beyond that, there remains a tremendous amount of uncertainty on the projected path. Latest reconnaissance information continues to show the hurricane strengthening and moving in a west-northwesterly direction. Keep it tuned to The Weather Channel for the latest.

More at The Weather Channel

Looks like Ivan is now at a Category 5 status with winds sustained at 160mph (~258kph). It has already destroyed 90% of homes in Grenada and they have already begun to evacuate the Florida Keys.

Here's the projected path:
    [​IMG]

Looks like once again our friends in Florida will get slammed the beginning of next week..

2. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Hopefully this one will miss the Bahamas... Frances hit there pretty hard!

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Isnt this the third one in as many weeks?

4. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

anyone seen the day after tommorow?... its REALLY making me think now, especially with the erratic UK changes too, 3 weeks ago I had torrential rain at my work which flooded it as the places drainage system couldnt handle it, and its massive...

- m@

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Charley hit on August 13th, Frances hit on September 5th and Ivan is expected to hit Monday, September 13th. So, it will be 3 in a matter of 4 weeks. Again, I'd like to stress that Ivan is a STRONG CAT 5 hurricane which is the highest number in the scale, there's nothing stronger. The winds are sustained at 160mph and unoffical gusts are in excess of 200mph. IF this hits Florida like is predicted, it will be stronger than it is now and will cause catastrophic destruction.

6. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

A guy I work with thinks the owner of Disney Land pissed off the powers that be - this month of huricanes has seriously hurt tourism there.

Besides that, I hope this one dies down. The company I work for has an office in West Palm Beach. Frances was down to Cat 3 but still pretty well flooded the lobby. I was sent down there not long ago for two weeks to reload 275 computers. If many of them are damaged, I'll very likely be stuck going back. I don't like florida when the weather is "good" there and don't want to go back.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Say good bye to any insurance claims :( or future insurance.

Bugger :/ Florida is such a nice place too. Take care florida/cuban peeps.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Funny thing about hurricanes. you can plot them all day long, but in the end, they go wherever they please. i sure hope, for florida's sake, ivan decides to turn into the gulf.

if he does go up into florida, he may get weaker before he hits. as it stands, cuba is sitting bewteen ivan and florida. a land mass as large as cuba should help weaken ivan somewhat. heck, frances was a strong 4 and was supposed to slam into the eastern side of florida. instead, she sat on top of the bahamas for a day and slowed down.

either way, it's sad that cuba will have to deal with him first. this has been a pretty bad year for hurricanes.

-monkey

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I couldn't imagine this one will help out Performance-PCs either... they've been out of power for a while.

Yeah there have been three pretty bad hurricanes thus far. I'm up in Vermont (northeast US if you don't know) and I'm getting the reminants of Frances right now. And I think Ivan is considerably larger than Frances was.

10. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

i live in north carolina and we got hit by massive flooding. ive been out of school for 3 days due to it and many people have lost everything. hurricanes affect alot of people though i do feel especially bad that i have power and water while many people in florida do not even have homes. i wish them the best of luck

11. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Actually, Ivan is much stronger, but Frances was a huge storm. Frances basically covered almost the entire state. Almost 400 miles worth of tropical storm and hurricane force winds. It didn't even give us more than some wind and rain here in Jax and we still have people without power. Not to mention those further south.

12. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

A good friend of mine is out in the Bahamas at the moment. Its her honeymoon too, poor cow. Hope she is not too badly effected :rolleyes:

13. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Thats exactly what im thinking. A month or so ago i was in the middle of the worse thunderstrom ive EVER been in, it shook my work building.

Mother Earth has had enough :worried:

14. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

wow thats strong :blah:

15. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

i have seen the film and had same thought

16. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

You might think that this has been a really extraordinary hurricane season for us here in Florida, but the truth of the matter is....this is actually normal. :eeek: Up until about 1958, during hurricane season (June 1st - November 30th) Florida got pounded by storm after storm. Then around 1958...that stopped for some reason. What we are seeing now is actually just getting back to normal. :wallbash:

17. [S]huttle

[S]huttle What's a Dremel?

I don't even wanna hear about hurricane Ivan. I just got my power back yesterday from Frances. It's been so hot here 90 + degrees F and the humidity which felt like 100%. Oh it was brutal during the day and night trying to sleep ! I actually slept on a bag of ice one night just to keep cool some what. We were out of power from Saturday until Friday. I took some pics of beachside here in Daytona. We got hit pretty hard here. There's one hotel or use to be hotel which was leveled to the ground, looked like a bulldozer went right over it. I also know a friend who lives right on the ocean and his glass back porch is on top of his house. I will post pics later on today.

18. [S]huttle

Yeah the hurricanes are making up for all the years we got lucky ! :confused:

19. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Grandfather and aunt should have gotten out of there last night. I haven't heard though.

The first 2 or was it 3 were enough for the year.

20. [S]huttle

I finally got pics of destruction from hurricane Frances up. I wish I could got more and better pics, but day after Frances passed cops wouldnt let us walk streets. I took pics at 640x480 so I could take as many pics as I could cause I had no power at home for almost 1 week. I didnt do close ups either to save on battery power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]