1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Here we go again, the ASUS MARS III

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docodine, 5 Jun 2012.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I wonder if Asus don't build these things just entirely for the E-peen of being the only company with large enough bass testicles to try such things.

I mean; it's going to go for a fortune, two 690's will likely work out as better value, and it'll be too large to fit into some cases because it's just so large!

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

They make very few awesome looking (relatively useless) graphics cards, sell them at exorbitant prices, and make the news headlines. Along the way they may have picked up some good R&D info, but mostly the point of this kind of product is to give the customer the illusion that the coolness of the company's highest end products (like the MARS III) reflects upon the overall quality of the brand.

Lian Li always had their ridiculous cases, and other graphics card manufacturers have done crazy things too. Remember the XFX 5970 that came in a case which made it look like a P90? Galaxy released a wireless GTX 460 last year, seen that one?:

[​IMG]

ASUS does it to a greater extent that most companies, and I can applaud them for it. Definitely cool!

3. .//TuNdRa

I know about the Wireless 560. I've got the close relative to it with the 550 Insane-white-OC edition.

Admittedly; if Wireless HDMI wasn't so crap; I'd use it, but it's too young to be effective at the moment. (10M max range, and you need £300 of equipment to make it work. Le sigh~)

The other issue was that, so far as I know, the MARS cards identify as just SLI'd cards to the drivers, so you can use stock Nvidia drivers with them, while the WHDI and MDT KFA2/Galaxy cards need special drivers made by the company, so it just ends badly.

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

The original MARS is by far the best looking of all the MARS cards. Just looks right, it somehow reminds me of DOOM III.

And, as a big ASUS fanboy it hurts me to say this, but I'd rather buy a 690...

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Where do you even buy laptop GPUs? Do you have to purchase a laptop just to thieve the GPU?

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't know yet, but I'm damned if that's going to defeat me!

This is the most meaningful page I've found so far. I've found a few stockists, but we're talking stupid money for a GTX580M at the moment.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

MXM slot laptop GPUs are available, just not that common.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually, I could see potential for making desktop versions of laptop GPUs.

Awesome M-ATX builds anyone? Plus that would get Nvidia and AMD working on the mobile department in terms of drivers. Win for everyone.

9. Shirty

Right then, we need a 2012 version of this:

[​IMG]

That will accept 2 x GTX680M in SLI. High power, small package, low consumption fun.

10. .//TuNdRa

The only issue will be that you'll also have to somehow mount heatsinks onto those boards, otherwise they'll just happily overheat and melt.

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'm guessing drivers for such a device would be....lacking?

At the other end of the scale, why has ASUS not made a tri SLI gtx580/680? If you want ot be truly mental, that would be the logical thing to do rather than piddling about with 2 GPUs :p

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Pretty long though!
    But if someone made a waterblock for that... Hmm...

13. .//TuNdRa

Why not just throw four on there! Excess to the extents of Madness! (Although... Four 670's on a single board... That would be some awesome stuff, Might have to do it original 295 style and sandwich the boards, though.)

14. Shirty

I think you mean 4 x 690s :)

4 PCBs sandwiched together with ultra low profile yet high flow waterblocks preinstalled, it would just be unbelievable. Also, it wouldn't have any drivers :blah:

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

And then make SLI bridges for them all and make FIRE! -_-
    :D

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I think the 3850 came out in a 3 core version....lemme find link

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/03/28/asus_shows_off_its_hd_3850_x3_trinity/1

thats in a similar ilk to above as it uses mxm modules.

Shirty likes this.
  17. Shirty

Nice find Margo. There you go Richard - your company can do it so let's see it :thumb:

18. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I was a bit-tech regular reader back then, just not on the forums! I remember reading that article whilst wasting away the day at a crap public sector job I had in those days where all the internets were blocked except bit-tech happily enough for me!

19. .//TuNdRa

I dunno. Two GPU's to a board, two boards, Four PCI-E 8-pin connectors all together, Would be plausible. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't theoretically work. Waterblock version as standard would mean you'd have oodles of overclocking room, too.

20. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm not so sure about "high-power, low consumption". A dual 680M card would be 25% more powerful than a single 680, 31% LESS powerful than a 690 (based on reference base clock speeds and number of cores). As GTX680 and GTX680M are based on the same architecture, I believe the power consumption would be similar at similar performance levels.

I can see the point of a card for using/testing single MXM and other mobile cards, but not a dual card. A triple card (such as the 3850 X3 mentioned) makes more sense, as it could outperform a 690 :)