1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go again?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dad, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, we're almost at the peak of hurricane season (mid-Sept) and eventhough these shouldn't hit the Gulf coast, they may cause some problems for the east coast os the US...

[​IMG]

From left to right are Tropical Storm Ophilia, Hurricane Nate and Hurricane Maria. From what I understand Maria shouldn't come close to land, Nate should deflect north and out to sea, but Ophilia is expected to strengthen and threaten the southeast coast (Georgia, North & South Carolina). Right now Ophilia is stationary, but gradually gaining strength. :\

The thing about Nate is that it is where Katrina developed. The only difference is that Katrina was moving south-west when it developed and Nate is moving north right now. This could become a big problem for the north-east and New England areas. This is kind of the same scenario happened back in '85 when Gloria (cat 2 hurricane) hit and caused a lot of damage on Long Island and the tri-state (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut) area.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2005
  2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh goodie. Luckily I'm in New England so... waitaminute! Well, we're rarely hit too hard, but I'm not too worried regardless. If we get an evacuation order though, I'll be a bit concerned. I'm definately of the feeling that if you get such an order and don't leave but have a means to, you have no right to complain about what happens to you.

3. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

And we all know how crazy Ophilia became. <- Could not resist.

I hope nothing really bad comes of this; it would be of great concern if the same thing that happened in New Orleans was cloned.

4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

It's not as bad a storm as Katrina was, but N. Carolina is expected to get 11-foot storm surges. Ophelia is a very slow moving mid-category 1 storm with 85mph winds. It is bad enough for prople to call for evacuations though.

From CNN:
    NAGS HEAD, North Carolina (AP) -- Hurricane Ophelia crept up the North Carolina coast Wednesday with high wind, driving rain and pounding surf that washed away a barrier island street, cut off electricity to thousands and threatened widespread flooding.

The storm had sustained wind of 85 mph Wednesday afternoon, up from 75 mph early in the morning, the National Hurricane Center said. Hurricane warnings were shifted northward, covering the entire North Carolina coast from the South Carolina line to Virginia, where a tropical storm warning covered the mouth of Chesapeake Bay.

The northern side of Ophelia's eyewall -- the circle of strongest wind surrounding the eye -- was expected to reach North Carolina's southeast coast late Wednesday, the hurricane center said.

Up the coast on the Outer Banks, officials warned that Ophelia could bring 11 hours of hurricane-force wind to Hatteras Island.

Gov. Mike Easley issued a last-chance warning to residents to get out the way of anticipated flooding from hours of sustained rain and storm surges that could reach 11 feet.

"We have a concern that people in flood-prone areas need to get out," Easley said at an afternoon news conference. "We're asking and begging them to do that because it's going to be hard to get them out later."