1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Here's an interesting TIM replacement...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 8 Jun 2015.

1. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

I was looking for some thermal pads for an application I'm working on and came across this:

Self-Adhesive Graphite Thermal Gap Pad

What's to like? How about 1,600 W·m-1·k-1 and a thickness of 25 µm? From what I can see, this should destroy any TIM out there.

Anyone care to give it a go? I would if I was setting up a new rig.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This suggests it has already been tested and the results aren't good: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...e-conductive-material-for-cpu-and-gpu.772906/

My initual though before googling was that while it is very conductive there is nothing to suggest it is particularly malleable, so it probably isn't very effective at filling imperfections which is one of the most important jobs a good TIM performs.

3. Newton Sporkfondle

Newton Sporkfondle Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

At £25.55 inc VAT seems rather expensive for a TIM replacement that is unlikely to work well.

4. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Interesting find, though (as you no doubt realise) there's no actual performance numbers I can see.
    That's what I thought as well, though the shop page does say it is 'flexible'. I wonder if the high conductivity would make up for the potentially reduced contact area?

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

These graphite pads aren't meant as a TIM replacement, but as a replacement for heatpipes in low power applications. Basically where a copper sheet just doesn't cut it, but the bulk of a heatpipe (or vapour chamber) is overkill.

6. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!