1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Hey! I said Large (Chips), Lady!

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 19 Jan 2011.

1. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I love Chinese food. Granted it isn't real Chinese food, but it tastes good and and Like it. It also helps that the best Chinese restaurant in town is 3 blocks from my house :D

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah if I'm having a take away it is normally Chinese food as well. Again, there are a big selection of Chinese restaurants here but I only go to one when possible, which cooks my favourite dish just the way I like it. I flat out do not do fish and chips. If I am getting food from the chippy it's battered saussages, southern fried chicken or just a good old cheeseburger for me :)

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Thai > Chinese food any day of the week.

Maybe even twice on Sunday.

4. LJF

LJF Modded

Definitely agree. Although I don't recall ever seeing a Thai takeaway. I personally don't reckon thai would work as takeaway food either. Some dishes are exceptions but to me, it's all about the freshness of the food that definitely gets lost in the foil cartons.

I prefer to make my own.

5. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Fish n chips is on the bottom of my places to eat out to. Fish, chips n curry sauce isn't to bad as long as they do good curry sauce.

6. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Nope, it just a very old joke, even older than me!

I have the opposite problem. The best Chinese I've ever had was in Bradenton, Florida... a mere 4,500 miles away :(

Actually there are a couple of decent ones here, not only do they deliver but one of them does decent Thai food too :p

7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I love how this went from hating to discussion

I have never had thai food there is none around here well there was one but it go shut down because of illegals running it and hygiene

Good job i never went :)

8. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

There's a wicked one literally down the road from me, been there twice... you go in and order and say "oh I live down the road" and they only goddamn bring you the food in about forty minutes time all packed up and fantastical how it is! Prawn Cracker compliments aswell!

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I really wish more places in the US (or at least around me) fully grasped the difference between fast food and take away. The nearest portable fish and chips is from an Ivar's 20 minutes away, and that's hardly edible.

10. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

At least you have a Fish 'n Chips place. Come to Montana and you will loathe the food choices we have. Granted here in Great Falls we have three AMAZING places ("Howard's Pizza", "Taco Treat" and "Goode's Q and Baoyu Grill") but most of the other stuff blah at best.

I would KILL for a legit Fish 'n Chips shop. I love Fish 'n Chips but hate the fact that I cannot get anything close to real Fish 'n Chips anywhere near me :(

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I can't think of anything else to respond to with this except

"U jelly Americans?" :| that's really wierd lol.

Do you guys, not have them then? I swear the UK has one on every three streets. My old town I could name about 20!

12. wst

wst Minimodder

FTFY. Seriously this thing is more annoying than a small package :p

13. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

i can name three in my town within walking distance then theres like 5 chinese and 2 indian

My favourtite is in the town i go to college its 9 miles away so unless you eat in the car there cold by the time you would get home so not much point going there from home

imhaving some today because i have to stick around a little while for doctors appointment :) Yum

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It depends on what you consider a proper fish 'n chips place. We have Long John Silver, which is utter crap. Also, the farther inland you get the fewer seafood places there are. A place like Montana isn't going to have as much seafood as a place like Houston. Even then, here on the Gulf Coast we have no shortage of proper seafood restaurants, so places like Long John Silver aren't too popular.

I think by and large most Americans prefer burger joints to fish 'n chips shops.

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm surprised Gordon Ramsey's not opened a chippy there. It would make sound financial sense to open one up if there are no other shops around like it.

I like the chips from my local chippy, Dee's. I also have a nice Cantonese take away nearby, Yang Xian. There's Aroma Spice, which is nice for a meal out although when it's busy it's pretty crowded with the amount of tables crammed in. The Taj Mahal, another indian restaurant, in Stamford is very nice, as is the Hong Kong (Chinese nearly next door to it.

I probably have a couple of takeaways a month and go for a meal out about 3 or 4 times a year.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2011
  16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

OK, this may be my ignorance showing here. In Britain "chips" is basically what we Americans call "french fries," right? I ask because although the main topic is fish 'n chips places, there is a lot of discussion about other take away food.

We have quite a few Chinese restaurants, though they aren't dedicated take away places. They are regular restaurants that also offer food to go. The place just down the road is a good locally-owned restaurant, and their cashew nut chicken is wonderful!

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That might be what kills it over here too. Different fish, but still far fresher and tastier than cheap frozen cod fillets flown over from the East coast. Just a shame they don't batter and fry that fresh and tasty fish then sell it with chips in a take away box. Having all this halibut around and flying in cod for fish and chips is sin. :D

18. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

In my opinion theres a difference, fries (over in the UK) are thin and crispy. Chips are larger, fluffy little gems of happiness compared to fries anyway lol.

19. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I'm English and I prefer fries :worried:
    Chips are too fluffy.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I dunno, I find if they're done properly chips are much tastier, especially home made chips (not those horrible frozen ones), though you should leave the potato skins on for maximum flavour. I find I have to season fries quite heavily to reach the same level of tastiness.

For reference,

Fries:

[​IMG]

Chips:

[​IMG]