1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

[​IMG]

Wanted one of those for ages and ages but the only place selling them was Scan, and they are £200 plus postage. I've never paid that for a sound card... It also wasn't important at all, given my collection. I mean yeah it would probably sound maybe a little bit better than my Xonar STX over cans, but not enough to warrant the price tag. Now that I have gotten the hifi bug though? yeah, it could make a difference. Plus it was only £70 delivered. Which is the most I have ever paid for a sound card (£50 for the XFI Tit HD and £45 for the STX) but I reckon it was worth a punt.

Stands came today but we had a late PUBG session so I didn't fancy getting up stupid early. Will go collect those tomorrow. No rush given the amp is coming from Lithuania :(

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Interesting, it looked much more.. Modern/new build in the picture in the other thread with the cars on the drive - I guess that's where the renovation part comes into play though.

3. Vault-Tec

You have my condolences about crappy power in your house. My old flat (and it was that, the wiring was from the 40s) was awful. God bloody awful. Even with shielded sound cards I could hear my hard drives spin up with the most awful whine. I did end up using ground loop isolators on all of the connections, but it left it sounding kinda flat. It did remove the hums and noises though.

4. Vault-Tec

Determination. That's the second trip to the PO today ! this time I got a woman who was properly nice and she found them for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

I have a pair of TIBO Legacy 3 bookshelf speakers by themselves, ebay bargain for about 30 quid. Wondering what budget amp to pair them with. Was looking at this:

[​IMG]

The Fosi BT20A, a £65 amplifier-on-a-chip.

The only thing giving me pause is that the AC adapters Fosi bundles look to all be 2-pole mains, with no earth connection. Is this a problem?

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Regarding mains stuff,
    I always wondered if you're spending that much why even bother directly with the mains at all. Surely a big relatively inexpensive battery is a more stable power source? I figure why not have a couple and charge one while you use the other?

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That sound the opposite of inexpensive, both financially and in terms of time, effort, faff.

The plot thickens with the electric at any rate.

Woke up this morning to a particularly cold house, RCD tripped in the night and the heating was off. Brr.
    This happened the other week and we thought we narrowed it down to a socket outside that was exposed, as it stopped when we closed it off and it was allowed to dry out.

Well through process of elimination, it's a different circuit that's causing it - and I think it was narrowed to either some sockets downstairs or what was plugged into them, but then much like a week ago the problem just "went away" so tough to say. However, in trying to isolate individual items (and also because I didn't want the internet to keep dying all day), moved some things onto a UPS.

Well that's interesting... 243v on this circuit. Meanwhile back where the AVR was plugged in, 251v.
    So out comes the multimeter, checking a variety of other sockets in the house, 260v, 270v, one as high as 285v... I know there can be a bit of variance depending on load but that's definitely not cricket.

I spoke to an electrician yesterday and suggested that sooner is better but there's no huge urgency... I've just left another message to change my tune a bit though.

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's a lot of volts @Mister_Tad, 260v is outside limits, let alone 285v...
    I'll be interested to see what's going on here.
    GLW Electrician... I'm having difficulty getting one back at work to do an annual inspection that insurance hinges on.

9. Mister_Tad

When we moved in there were halogens everywhere, and at least half of them were blown. Now we know why. I'm keeping choice items unplugged where I can until either the electrician comes out and takes a look or until I get some of the AC regenerators.

Through troubleshooting I discovered one of the under floor heating zones in the kitchen isn't in fact on the circuit labelled "underfloor heating" with the rest (on a totally different RCD for good measure), but on the downstairs sockets.

Turning into a bigger job than I initially expected, but then I guess the silver lining of that is that we may jump the electrician's queue.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I know that feel brah. We moved into a house that had unmodified electrics and board from the 80s. Plugs in shite locations, breaker board looks like something from the set of Alien, powerline adapters drop out randomly, lights flicker when some things turn on, and one of the light switches trips a breaker. You can tell it's been happening a long time because the previous owners installed a second breaker just for that ring, to save the whole panel going off. They were total bodgers. I mean to get an electrician in to revamp it all eventually, but ugh, this financial year, amirite.

11. Vault-Tec

Bought some of these to replace the crap ones I had.

[​IMG]

They're fantastic. During leaving feedback these caught my eye. Could possibly be the solution for the TMC's tragic speaker connectors.

[​IMG]

So I ordered those too.

12. Vault-Tec

Sound card got. Better mid range, not quite as exciting as the Essence but I do like the sound better.

I did some research last night. I had watched this video here

And I got this weird feeling that I knew the guy with the beard and pony tail. So I looked up Audio note on Youtube...

Andy Whittle. Then I remembered instantly. Andy Whittle was my boss at Rogers in Surrey. The guy with the pony tail? yeah, I have met him on several occasions too. He was the guy that was over with us when the Audio Note made E20 and E40a valve amps (Rogers) were being designed. They made them (Audio Note).

Oddly I never saw one in the flesh until the company closed down and my friend and I got a transit van and went in and cleared the place out (paid the guys who were supposed to be doing it haha).

[​IMG]

Then it all made perfect sense. I guess Andy Whittle was working with Audio note to produce all of Roger's new gear (including those cables I was talking about. Crystal link. I would imagine they were these...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-No...743465?hash=item3fefa898e9:g:e7IAAOSwr8VfzSGd

13. Vault-Tec

Hahaha. So I had some 192-384? FLAC files. Couple of hi res albums. Watch what happens to the EQ on VLC when you play one :D

It goes paranoid schizophrenic mode !

Apols for the awful audio quality. My phone seems to be rather Tom Tit for that. God knows where all that noise is coming from because I can't bloody hear it ! The sound may actually get removed, so just watch what happens when I change the folder.

14. Vault-Tec

The deed is done, with a bag full 'o' stress.

The amp came. Ex demo my ass. It was filthy dirty and had two paint spots on it (matte) that thankfully came off. It was covered in dust. Are people really that opposed to a cloth and some alcohol FFS? dirty bastards.

I connected it up to the Quads and plugged in my phone as I always do for testing. Amp sounded totally blown. Was distorting, drivers were farting and it generally sounded totally horrible. Changed the speaker wires to higher grade ones I will be using on the front when the spade connectors come, no change. Changed the amp to another one, no change. Eh? that sounds totally like a blown amp to me !. Changed the cable from the phone, changed the phone, changed through two DACs on the phone/s; no change.

Finally I connected my audio PC to it, no issues at all. I had began to think it was the speakers, but I have never known two speakers to blow in exactly the same manner and produce the same sounds of death. The odd thing is this is always the test gear I use, so all I can think is that the Quad speakers themselves do not like a phone output as a signal. Very very odd.

[​IMG]

Asked for permission today to fit two speaker plates to the walls. Sockets, like. I am getting tired of the bluetooth TX RX falling out and there being delay and echo. It doesn't happen often but it's a total ballache to sync them back together.

That's how you have to calibrate it.

Oh, the best thing I found out today is that the 60 sl integrated also doubles as a 60 sl power amp. It has full power inputs. So when I get the wall plates fitted I will run it as a power amp. The only thing stopping me now is sometimes I get noise over the TX RX and as a power amp that would be a nasty noise for the Quads to deal with. At least with this I can control the output volume more (I keep it lower because of it).

15. Vault-Tec

Running a very odd set of patch wires atm. All of them too long. Thought about QED for £25 each, and then Chord for £40 each before I realised it was getting silly.

[​IMG]

I got a £30 part refund on the amp (on account of it being filthy) so I got 4 sets. Won't need them all yet, not until I put the wall plates in and move the rear amp to the pile.

16. Vault-Tec

Right, it's time for the big yellow bomb to go.

I don't like how humungous my subwoofer is. Nor, tbh? do I like that much bass. The more I go into better speakers the more it just seems to annoy me. I am sure I could tune it down to almost irrelevant, but it's so big it just gets on my nerves a bit. I will sell it, should get a decent price.

[​IMG]

I looked at buying a 6.5" very long throw sub and then buying a plate amp and building my own, but the costs are ridiculous and parts of it are unobtainable right now due to Covid. Plus it's too cold to be using power tools outside, nor do I want all of the mess and buggering around.

[​IMG]

Is much more like it. Due to my flat being 18 months old and incredibly well insulated the bass is starting to annoy me a bit. I must be getting old, huh?

B1GBUD likes this.
  17. liratheal

I think I could do with some advice.

I'm starting to go around in circles, and I think I'm liable to do something daft.

My AV receiver is a baby little thing, but at the moment it's doing what we need it to do - But the speakers it's driving are not that power hungry.

So. It can, for reference, dump out 50 watts to the front channels if my understanding of the literature is right. The fronts recommended amp power is 10-140 - So I'm on the low side of 'in range' for the speakers. They do what they need to do. Their continuous rating (Watts peak RMS) is 100. Their Peak handling is 200. They're 8 Ohm

However, I'm looking at some speakers that don't list a recommended input - But their handling is 125/500 continuous/peak (8 Ohm) - Which is a shade above what I currently have. So I started thinking that using the preouts on the receiver and using either a dual out power amp or two mono amps (Preferably a dual out with a remote trigger, since the receiver has a remote out trigger) would be advisable.

I started nosing around, as one does, and spec and look wise the Emotiva BasX A-300 appears to fit into the spec - It's capable of 150w RMS out per channel at 8 Ohms. Which is above the continuous handling, but my understanding is that 150 is peak on the amp, and 500 is the peak on the speaker, so it's unlikely to be a problem.

So my thoughts are, new speakers. If they can't be appropriately driven by the receiver, which I doubt, then throw in the A-300 to drive them.

Am I losing the plot here, or does this all make a kind of sense?

18. Vault-Tec

It really all depends on the sensitivity rating of your speakers. And of course how loud you like your music.

19. liratheal

Primarily movies/TV/Gaming - The music setup is elsewhere, and subject to its own deliberations that last years.

The two are, if my understanding of this is right, quite different sensitivity rating wise.

Current: 91dB (2.83 v @ 1m)
    Potential replacements: 97dB (2.83v @ 1m)

20. Mister_Tad

Few things:

- Power ratings on amps and speakers are generally nonsense, so don't look at them as anything other than the loosest guidance
    - If your amp is underpowered for your speakers, you'll hear it. First breaking up and becoming a bit of a mess on peaks, then just breaking up in general if you turn it up more, and then killing your speakers if you turn it up more again
    - Nothing bad will happen if you use an amp with more power than your speakers can handle

97db is crazy sensitive, so you won't have any issues driving them to at least the same level as the last. I'd try them on your receiver first to see what you think, and if you're hearing them break up on particularly dynamic tracks then look for an amp with higher current reserves (the A300 is a good choice) - AVRs have a shared power supply, which tends to be the limiting factor well before their theoretical per-channel power delivery.

liratheal likes this.