1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Shure SE 535s arrived yesterday, the Mojo arrived today and is now on charge. Have tried the SE 535s in my Pathos Converto but, a bit disappointed, bass is fine but upper midrange and treble sounds a bit harsh. Not sure whether they need running in or, it's just a mismatch so, will see what happens when the Mojo is ready to go.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Talking of RCAs. The ones I got were digital. Apparently you can use them (because they are just thicker) for RCA, but of course I got 4 singles. Doh.

Because of yesterday's piece of good fortune I decided to go to my limit. So I got four 1m Tower by Audioquest. They were £25 a pair, which is about where I tap out on cables.

[​IMG]

I've also been watching this guy on Youtube. He seems to be at least a little bit realistic with HIFI stuff, and like me prefers to spend the cash on equipment rather than gadgets. This comes highly recommended.

[​IMG]

So I got that too. He says it is one of the mains conditioners that doesn't flatten the sound. And even though I try as hard as I can not to be ponsey about audio I do know that the ground loop isolators I used definitely flattened the sound a bit.

BTW going back to the hard wiring of the rears? holy crap. Like seriously, holy friggin crap. That bluetooth pair was absolutely destroying the sound. I thought the echo was like, tacked on by the receiver to add atmosphere. Little did I realise it is not supposed to echo at all. None. Just crystal clear sound. The delay and falling out of sync has vanished too. Seriously I am no spring chicken and after all of that crap I went through yesterday I can barely move today but holy crap it was worth every dusty, fart stinking minute.

I fired up Karma Police last night (now my second fave RH song) and holy balls. I am 100% convinced that the bluetooth was taking a **** back into the AV32. My mate says "Oh it's probably just because the rear sound better" but it's not. It must have been causing some sort of interference. Maybe with the PC (the sound card) or god knows what else.

Those things are so rubbish I almost feel like blowing one up on purpose and sending them back. I won't, because I am not a dick, but they really are absolutely atrocious.

Apart from maybe getting a higher end sound bar (the real Quad one with the ribbon) or something else the only thing I want now are those BFG power cables. For no other reason than they look really nice. Would cost me about £150 (might look into making them myself tbh) but yeah, small change when you are this deep into things I guess.

I should have done this years ago and stopped spunking money on PCs. It's been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my whole life.

trigger likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

In for a penny, in for another £125.

Got five of these incoming.

[​IMG]

6 metres of Lapp cable.

[​IMG]

Going to do them 1.2m each. Or maybe literally do them to their required lengths, IDK. This was the most spendy bit.

[​IMG]

But they are Rhodium plated and not some Chinese knock off junk.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Well, after some more usage and trying different tips from the choice of around 10 provided, the SE535s connected to the Mojo, sound pretty good and well worth the £293 asking price. With my Focals plugged in, the Mojo gives away surprisingly little to my Pathos amp.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Excellent stuff - I bloody love my Mojo. Welcome to the gang.

6. Vault-Tec

I'd love to be able to use in ear cans. Sadly my left ear canal is very small. More than 1/3 less than that of my right ear. Which would explain why I have never managed to find a set that stay in my left ear, even with the smallest buds on. That side continually falls out, and I end up getting angry and ramming it in which really hurts my ear. Sucks, because I like how they sound.

[​IMG]

1 of 4 deliveries has arrived. Well, if you count the cable, plugs and etc as one. I also ordered some carbon braid.

[​IMG]

As the silver might be a bit OTT.

Just as I had typed this and went to hit send the buzzer went again.

[​IMG]

And I have Iceland coming 3-4 *sobs*

My back is still caning from Saturday :S

7. jinq-sea

Nice haul. Will all of the speakers (centre included) be TAG McLaren amplified?

8. Vault-Tec

Dear god.

[​IMG]

It's absolutely stunning. There isn't a single tiny little mark on it anywhere :O

[​IMG]

Gonna order this in a sec. Guy with the 60p did me a really awesome price.

[​IMG]

9. Vault-Tec

Yeah. Front are on a 60p, rear will be on a 60p and the centre will be bi amped from a 60i (integrated). But, the 60i goes for much more for a reason. Not only is it integrated but it also has built in power circuitry (so you can run it as a power) *and* a pre amp. I wondered why they were £100 more than the Ps.

Edit. Going back a couple of posts. I have solved the riddle.

You can not send uncompressed audio over bluetooth. That is why it sounded so rotten, and delayed and echoed. So there you have it. Stick to MP3 *boak*

Last edited: 12 Jan 2021
  10. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

11. Vault-Tec

Yeah I bet a TX RX set up would cost so much money tho.

I ordered my stand for the centre. Got it from AVonline as it was £50 and not the £60 on Amazon. "Free economy shipping". Good, because after those stairs today, and tomorrow, and Thurs I will be half dead.

[​IMG]

Five minutes later I get this. /facepalm.

[​IMG]

12. Vault-Tec

And once again I got caught out. Thinking that this stand would be really light. It was the absolute bloody polar opposite.

[​IMG]

I won't lie though, it looks absolutely stunning.

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

PRO-TIP : Don't put anything in those drawers.

adidan likes this.
  14. jinq-sea

Haha I was thinking exactly that.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Stands be heavy.
    The stand for my centre is at least as heavy as the speaker itself, the centre itself being 30kg.

16. Vault-Tec

There's nothing in there I use. It's all insurance paperwork, tenancy paperwork and a few console games I don't play. However, getting to them is easy. Lift speaker on stand away, unplug bananas, access. But yeah, nothing goes in or out of it any way.

17. Vault-Tec

18. Vault-Tec

And with that it was all done. Sorta kinda.

[​IMG]

This thing was trash bound (the cable box) but man, it really saved my ass in the end.

[​IMG]

I need to get a piece of black felt to place on top of the centre. When watching TV it's really distracting. Everything reflects off of it. I also want to try and find a 90' connector for the sub and give it a proper power cable.

Oh and I need to move the centre too..

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

finished my ucd180 build over xmas, overkill for use while gaming on pc but its awesome hooked up to my asus STX II . my only gripe is the stx 2 daughter board has to be outside of my case due to emi inside the case:/ asus didn't shield the daughter board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not sure if you can tell or not but i completely ballsed up the IEC mounting on the case so will have to do the rear plate again at some point

Vault-Tec and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I can TOTALLY tell that ... (but just because you told me).