1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking High DPC Latency

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Uggers, 17 Apr 2011.

1. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I've recently been having some issues crop up with my system and wanted to get some thoughts and feedback into what might be causing this problem.

I'm currently running:
    • Q9550 - FSB 400 @ 3.4ghz (ViD= 1.3v but set at 1.3275v in Bios - reads 1.296v in Cpu-Z) - Arctic Freezer Pro 7
    • Asus P5K-E/Wifi
    • Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb (oc'd out the box @ 715mhz)
    • Corsair TX650w PSU

Originally the clock held stable after a few weeks and I ran into no problems. I then switched the Sata to ACHI to update the bios for my SSD (OS installed on normal 1TB HDD), again no problem for a week.

Then 1 day I reboot the computer one evening and I'm getting audio drop-outs left right and centre. Nothing had changed it just suddenly decided it wasn't going to play nice. I did a bit of research and basically stumbled across DPC Latency and ran that to find I was having massive and random spikes. Usually relating to opening up a flash video at the time.

After reading all the possible different causes of this I went about and tried all these different things:

• Updated SATA Drivers - No Change
    • Updated onboard Sound Drivers - No Change
    • Updated Nvidia Drivers - Stopped it happening every boot, to about 50/50 chance of high latency on boot
    • Installed Latest GCard Bios - No Change
    • Turned of ACHI and set it back to IDE
    • Returned the Clock to Stock - No Change might want more testing
    • Adjusted the Voltage of the Clock to check stability - No Change
    • Reseated Graphics card - No Change
    • Checked Temps and ensure fans all working on CPU etc - No Change
    • Turned off unused things like wireless/floppy controller etc - No Change

I switched of ACHI the problem instantly went. However this, at least in my mind didn't make sense. But I went with it and I had peace for a week or so. Eventually it came back again this time at random. So times the computer booted fine. Other times it booted with high latency. I found another program which showed the process's causing the high latency and traced it back to Nvidia, alot of people complained about the drivers so I tried various different versions. I had it stable again for a while, then it started up with high latency today. I decided to pull the clock back to FSB 375 and it started fairly stable (1 or 2 spikes nothing major)

At this point I've tried so many things I'm beginning to wonder if something is broken or maybe its time to buy a sandybridge and ditch my current mobo/cpu and ram for an upgrade.
    I'm just wondering if my clock really isn't as stable as I thought when running Prime95
    It did have high latency when I returned it to stock values but I admit I didn't test it a few times to see if it was just a one off.

Anyway thanks for reading all this, and feel free to slap me if I've missed something I should of done to begin with.