1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU High pitched noise from PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shah, 24 Sep 2010.

1. shah

shah Minimodder

Hello all,

Yesterday when I shutdown my pc it started making a high pitched noise. I am thinking it is the power supply. Should I be worried?

Thanks
    Shah

2. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Sounds like a fan but it could be anything really. What part of the PC is it coming from? Ideally you want to determine what is making the sound first, then determine what course of action to take. Fans are easily replaceable; hard drives are a bit more serious.

3. shah

shah Minimodder

As far I can tell it was coming from the back of the case which means it will be probably the power supply. The noise went away after a few minutes. As the pc is shut and all the fans it is unlikely that a fan will generate any noise (correct me if I am wrong).

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Wat is your full computer specs and PSU (brand, and power)?

Usually the the coils that makes the sound. It can be annoying, many PSU manufacture doesn't cover this under warranty as "most people don't hear it", and it's not dangerous. Just really annoying.
    You can buy the PSU again, and might not have the problem, like ti can be a PSU circuit design that make this happen with your motherboard.

5. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

my graphics card makes a high pitch noice when its underload on some games.

6. shah

shah Minimodder

Thanks mate,

I am using CoolerMaster 700watts psu. I was coming to same conclusion but was not sure if it will be dangerous. I have used the psu for over two years now.

7. GoodBytes

It sucks when that happen.
    My PSU's Corsair HX620 and AX750 form my old and new computer, does the same as you, but well no high pitch sound, it just make a whining sound that can be hear up close. But lucky for me, as soon as you are a bit away form it, you don't hear it. My first PSU with an ASUS motherboard and now Gigabyte (see signature).

Try sleeping your computer instead of shutting it down, as it consumes more power than the off state, it might not whine anymore or much much less.

shah likes this.
  8. shah

shah Minimodder

Yes I know it is annoying that is all.

I cannot hear it while the pc is running only when its shut and came on yesterday. I think I will give it a couple of more tests and if it persists then will prob buy a new psu as I can normally hear this sound while others can't :D

ps how do I show my pc spec in signature :D thanks.

9. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

My psu makes a similar buzzing sound but only when its shutdown but still switched on at the wall. I'm not too bothered by it personally. I always turn it off at the wall anyway and the buzzing stops.

For the signature click on user cp at the top left of the forum while logged in then. Then go down to edit signature on the left.

10. shah

shah Minimodder

Thanks mate. I guess I will start doing the same if it gets anymore annoying :thumb:

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Its just the hamster in his wheel making the noise, how else do you think its powered. Electricity is a myth after all.

12. Cannondale4321

Cannondale4321 What's a Dremel?

I had exactly the same problem with a Panasonic TV. It was easily fixed by the TV repair man who said it had to do with either the windings or core coming loose in the tramsformer. I think he just poured a sealer into the transformer to hold it all tight. The repair cost less than £20.

13. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I get a similar (I think) noise from my PSU for a few minutes after startup on this computer. It's the Strider in my rig. My dad can't hear it. I usually wander away for a couple of minutes and when I come back, it's gone. Unusual.

14. GoodBytes

I think the problem is that because we aim at quiet computers, we start hearing these PSU whining, then before, you rarely did hear it as we has jet engine level in term of sound computers. Also, perhaps, as he get high Wattage PSU's, at low power, the coils vibrates and makes this whine noise. That is just my guess.

15. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I'm betting a fiver on coil whine. Pretty common and harmless but annoying.

16. GoodBytes

I vote a ban on coils! :p

One day we will be more people complaining about this, and hopefully a PSU manufacture will produce a PSU that doesn't emit any sound.

17. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Someone needs to invent a thermally conductive but non-electrically conductive epoxy. problem solved.