1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other High Power Flashlights?

Discussion in 'General' started by pyro1son, 12 May 2012.

1. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Has anybody used this brand or know whether they're any good?

Ive got a 4D Maglite and was thinking of putting Cree XM-L conversion in it, but the above looks like a cheaper option.

The only problem is, I have a Fenix (LD20) and their (and other high quality brands) high power flashlights are quite a bit more expensive so was wondering whether the SKYRAY would actually be any good?

Thanks!

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

*waits for Unicorn*

3. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Indeed! He is the man who talked me into Fenix!

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Actually, given my RP I should really look into getting a decent torch.

I'd be looking for something with a wide angle beam since my issue is mainly with my field of view. Is there anything good for sub £50? Preferably something small so I can keep it with my keys or I'll end up never using it.

5. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

The Skyray shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't expect 4000 lumens from it.

It'll probably be the brightest thing you've held, especially for a smidge under £40 delivered, but between lens and reflector losses, the efficiency of the LEDs and drivers, you'll have to knock ~30% off that theoretical maximum of four kilolumens.

Ending Credits - Zebralight do (very) floody versions of their torches, though they may be a little over your budget. On a general note, XM-L emitters have a wider hotspot than XP-Gs (and are brighter for a given current, too), so something with an XM-L and a shallower reflector, like the Xeno E03 f'rinstance (though that really reaches it's brightest on Lithium rechargeable 14500s).

Last edited: 12 May 2012
  6. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Thinking about getting this but would like something abit more powerful for campsite and search use.

Tempted to put a 180 lumen upgrade in the Maglite as would like to find use for it!

7. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Build your own! (Hey, this is Bit-Tech after all!)

Between DX, ebay and Cutter, all the parts are easily obtainable.

Although I use headlights more (for Underground use), I am building 3-4K Lumens. If I can get that in a headlight, with less available Mass, you can put way more (I don't think 8-10K is unreasonable) in a flashlight.

8. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Head over to DX.

Get yourself a nice T6 based flashlight (T6 is a lot brighter than the old champ 'P7'), some decent high voltage 18650 batteries, and a compatible charger.

Result = really powerful rechargeable torch for less than £30.00inc.