1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Hinges and Latches

Discussion in 'Modding' started by modgodtanvir, 4 Jan 2008.

1. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

:dremel: Ok, here goes:

Every modder has contemplated, at some point, the idea of having the side panels or a front panel on some sort of hinge, which in Transformer-like splendour, opens itself to expose whats inside (like a lambo door)

My question is regarding the mechanics of such an idea. Obviously, for it to swing open, you will need
    a) something spring-loaded and strong enough to support the weight
    b) something to keep it closed and secure when you don't want it open.

I was wondering if any of you had any idea how such a hinge would work, and where to go to buy such hinges and catches. (my google escapades haven't proved fruitful).

Ideas I have had, so far include:

1. some sort of shaft inside a hollow tube, with a spring pushing it outwards (like an old bicycle pump)

2. a sort of half spring (which i don't know the name of) that has two straight pieces on either end, which spring back when they are pulled towards each other, similarly (I suppose) to the hand exerciser thingy you can buy from sports shops:
    http://www.aiyafitness.com/pics-inv-other/hand_exerciser_hand-grip.jpg

Thanks! :rock:

Last edited: 4 Jan 2008
  2. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Check your local auto parts store and inquire about a small gas shock like is used in some cars to open the trunk/rear hatch. The tool box in the back of my truck has a pretty small gas shock... as for a catch to lock it... there are hundreds of different catches for cabinet doors... One thing comes to mind is again from a car... the catch for the glove box or a center console... Visit a junk yard maybe??

hagatha

3. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

The principle behind such hinges looks quite easy: Take a look. You can find a detailled explanation here, just click on Technic -> Operation Mode. Hope these links help you.

4. modgodtanvir

The car boot shock is a very good idea, if I could get my hands on something from a small hatchback, like a Renault Clio or a Smart. Just thinking it might be too strong? I imagine a boot/trunk/hatch lid is much heavier than an aluminium panel, and we wouldn't want pieces of our computers shooting into the ceiling :)rock: though that would be fun to watch). If it was gas operated, I suppose we could try taking some gas out.

The LSD concept is pretty cool as well. I would try and buy one of those hinges buy they cost over $1000! :jawdrop: . The whole 'out and then up' idea is a good one because it overcomes the whole obstruction problem.

I suppose an alternative would be to go electrical :idea:, with motors, but that would probably involve PCB's and 555 Astable circuits, which is something I really don't fancy doing.

Any ideas about latches or clips? I had a look at magnetic contacts like you might find in your TV cabinet, but if the door is putting out such a large force, a Yale padlock might be more in order :hehe:

Thanks for the comments guys :thumb:! Any more advancements from the bit-tech community?

5. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

Actually, I thought of building a hinge like these lsd-hinges rather than buying one. It just takes a scroll saw, a drill and some aluminium plates.

How heavy is the panel you'd like to move?

6. modgodtanvir

Not a bad idea...:idea:
    The hinge in question would look something like :
    [​IMG]

And with a sheet of aluminium that shouldnt' be too hard...
    The model still relies on the presence of a shock, which is really the basis of such a design (unless you could do it with a spring :worried: ) which again, takes us to buying a small gas shock, as you might find in a boot/trunk/hatch lid...

I'll try ebay :thumb:

The side panel in question weighs no more that 300g, though in my plan for a future mod in which I may use this idea, the panels are big, and made of MDF, which will weight a couple of kilograms.

7. Gibbon

Gibbon What's a Dremel?

8. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

try scap yards for the gas shocks

9. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

ARGH! I was totally doing that for my current mod! :wallbash: Do you take bribes? lol For real though, run a google search for gas springs. That was the logical route for me. They look cool and will function the way you are wanting to. The only other thing you will need is a simple hinge where you want it to rise from. I heard you can also find them at a place that makes kitchen cabinets. Good luck and don't worry, I've got other tricks up my sleeve bwa ha ha! Here's some inspiration, it's the new SwordM case:

[​IMG]

10. modgodtanvir

Thanks for the replies lads :thumb: !

The RC Car shocks are perfect. Cheap, and because they are small, I could attach them to custom hinges, which is better for the purposes I have planned. I would include a diagram, but it appears :worried: that I have competition...

Thacrudd... I've got my eye on you man :naughty:

lol joking! That mod is looking awesome :jawdrop:. looking very professional. Where do I go to see a worklog for that?

But don't worry... I've got a few tricks up my sleeve as well :dremel:... (well ideas anyway :duh:). I'll have to be careful what I say around here from now on :thumb:

Another big thank you to everyone who has helped. Keep the ideas coming boys :brrr: (and girls :blush:)

11. modgodtanvir

:lol::lol::lol:I do love these smilies...:lol::lol::lol: