1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Hiper TypeR 580W

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ginzu, 2 Oct 2009.

1. Ginzu

Ginzu What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

My current rig is starting to show its age so I believe its time to upgrade (X2-4400 with GeForce7800 GTX, 2 Gb Ram).
    I have yet to decide on specific components but I am currently looking at an i7 920 rig with a single GPU card.

My question at this time is whether my existing Hiper TypeR 580W PSU is going to be upto the job or if I need to budget for a new PSU as well.

Thanks in advance for your advice

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It depends on the graphics card you're going to be using. A single GPU card could be anything from an 8400GS to a GTX 280.

3. Ginzu

Ginzu What's a Dremel?

fair point, was looking at a GTX 275

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I would go for a change of PSU. I had a Hiper type R 580W and it gave up after around 2 years, fortunately it didn't take anything with it but there are many accounts on the forums where other components have gone down with a type-R!

Probably you'll be OK - but you never want to risk it especially after just fitting new stuff.

5. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

580W should be heaps for a single graphics card.

Hipers have picked up a bit of a reputation for failing. Despite this, I believe they are well constructed and would not expect one to damage the rest of the system it was in should it fail.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

On ocuk there is a thread that covers failures of this psu. One out of about 20 failures have taken anything with them.

Id get a new psu tbh, whats 60 quid :p

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

My rig is running on the non-modular Type M, again at 580W and has been fine since I got it Christmas 2006.
    I think you would be fine but a new one can't hurt!
    edit: actually - if you are going for a GTX 275 will you have enough PCIe power connectors?

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Your wattage should be fine but as has been stated above, that's not one of the most reliable brands.