1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi 1TB drive is at retail doorsteps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 27 Apr 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Infenro

Infenro New Member

3. airchie

airchie New Member

Sweet!!!

Oh, nice caption for the pic too.
    LMAO!!! :D

These will be wicked for HTPCs so you can store heaps of content in a single drive instead of having to look at raid arrays and increasing power useage, thermals, acoustics and complexity...

Anyone wanna buy my fileserver? :D

4. CoolFox

CoolFox New Member

Sooooooo MUCH.... do I even need to finish this sentence? No? Didn't think so.

5. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

It's quite insane really, how quick HDDs are expanding in terms of capacity. I could replace my current 8 x 250GB with 2 of these :(

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

anyone with a knowledge of binary versus regular base ten numbers care to rant about how the capacity as actually less than a true terabyte count?

that said, my fileserver will be seeing an upgrade :D

7. rupbert

rupbert New Member

The noise is my only concern.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Heres hoping it is actually 1TiB, if it isn't then theres gonna be quite a lot of space 'lost'

As I understand it, the current hard drives are measured in thousands of megabytes, which is based on the true value of 1024Kb. If they still make it that way, and a TB is 1000 GB, then we'll be be losing ~50GiB of space. Not loads when you think you're getting 950GiB HDD, but that's still a lot of space.

It's something that really should be taken care of, but the problem is, if one company decides to market their drives at their true value, they'd lose sales

9. Bluephoenix

I just checked ( :search: )

and found these:
    and we have our answer. :waah:

Last edited: 27 Apr 2007
  10. Omnituens

Omnituens New Member

i dont know how HD manufacturers get away with this

its clearly f£$%ing wrong.

i think it was here where i posted how much storage is lost due to this. I'll find the post.

EDIT: Here

11. Crazyglue

Crazyglue New Member

wow i definately need this, i only have about 2tb on my media center, and i need more :-( using 3x500gb, and a external 400gb, replacing one of the 500s with the 1tb or replacing the 400gb external with a 1tb external would be awsome too. :naughty:

i need more space, i cant fit any more episodes of south park or any of my cool new movies :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

12. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

I used to think space was over rated when I had a single 80gb HD and was like, "Why would anyone ever need so much space." Then I got a 320gb and two 74gb raptors in raid 1 and I now think otherwise. Once you start using your PC as a media center the gig's just fall off. I'm at 72% free on the 320 and 40% free on the two raptors. If only I had $400

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

Soooo....... realistically we don't have a winner in the 1TB range just yet. Sorry Hitachi, but stop using your marketing tactics to scew the facts. Hard drive manufacturers need to stop using these tactics to mislead consumers. It's practically false advertising. Does anyone else agree with this statement?

14. Bluephoenix

incorrect info - deleted

15. z4114

z4114 FACE!

So since to them, 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, and 1 TB = 1,000 GB, we can math it out as 1,000,000,000,000 bytes

Now when converting to GiB we've got 931.32GiB

I come to my calculations by:

Code:
                         B->K   K->M   M->G
    1,000,000,000,000 / (1024 * 1024 * 1024 )

B = bytes, K = Kibibytes, M = Mibibytes, G = Gibibytes

You were originally correct Bluephoenix.

EDIT:

There was a class action lawsuit about this that came to a resolution. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060630-7174.html

They offereded a refund of $30 in the form of backup software valued at $30. A total cop out which still leaves me uneasy with the whole marketing bumfluff.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You mean OS manufacturers? THEY'RE the party guilty of mislabeling. The OS displays the capacity in GiB, but uses the unit GB next to it. The hard drives are advertised in GB, or TB now, and deliver in GB or TB.

Technically speaking, it's RAM manufacturers that are guilty, but nobody is going to go after them for giving more than advertised (both manufacturer and OS display standard GB units, but both actually use the power-of-two GiB units; as they both do it, there's no noticed discrepancy).

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

OMG that is like 700 000 floppy disks!!!! i want one of those for my fileserver for the house.

18. EQC

EQC New Member

Based on the 3 data points I can think of, HDD capacity growth rate is actually SLOWING DOWN!

2 years ago: 500GB max made its debut
    1 year ago: 750GB max made its debut(a 50% increase in about a year)
    Now: 1000GB max has just come out (a 33% increase in about a year).

I'm guessing next year will have 1250GB drives...for a 25% increase. Less and less of a percentage increase each year....

On the other hand, the capacity of USB Flash Drives seems to be roughly doubling (or at least dropping in price by a factor of 2) every year....remember when 128MB on a USB drive was huge? Remember when 512 first became available? Now you can get 16GB on a high quality corsair USB flash drive for under $150 from NewEgg.

I know that right now Flash-based hard drives are small in capacity and expensive in price compared to hard drives...but based on how the technology of USB Flash Drives has been moving, I think flash is on a path to overtake hard-drives in both capacity and cheapness in less than 10 years. Also keep in mind that the current 32GB flash drives (ie: the ones I think Dell is using) are 1.8" drives -- smaller than a 'standard' 2.5" notebook drive, and much smaller than a 3.5" desktop drive -- and using a bigger physical drive means either more capacity, or larger/older/cheaper technology, or some combination of the two. Give it a few years, and they'll be cramming close to a terabyte of flash into a desktop drive for under $1000. A few years after that, and things will be very competitive with hard drives.

19. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Harddrive companies should more focus on faster hdd's then larger hdd's. Try look at the evolution of the speed of ram, cpu, gfx and hdd, and try see the diffrence. The 3 first parts are almost "following" each other up in speed, but hdd's a lacking behind in speed, and instead upgraded in capacity. There's almost a capacity race between harddrive companies. it should more be a speed race, so load times are cut down to minimal. :sigh::duh:

20. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

You haven't seen much from this drive then. This drive is being called (and I certainly agree with them) the FASTEST 7200RPM hard drive to date.

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2974

Have a look, and tell me it's not fast. :)

Tags: Add Tags