1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi announces ultra-fast SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

It's another milestone in SSDs life. So now we can expect larger capacity and faster.

Would like to know pricing asap, although I expect out of my reach.

3. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Even "basic" small capacity SSDs are out of my thoughts for now. Too much money for tiny drives. When they make 1TB SSDs under 100 bucks then I might consider. Im all about capacity over speed in terms of price.
    I even bought into a 10k Raptor and my normal 7200rpm 1TB smokes it in speed other than small file transfers. Waste of money.

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

i really want an SSD now :( since I got my new PC. I have scored 7.9 on all the windows experience index things except the hard drive, which comes up at a crappy 5.8. Surely this SSD should bring it up close to the 7.9 cap?

5. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

I currently own a pair of SF-1200 based 60gb OCZs in a RAID 0 array and they scored 7.9 on windows index. If you just want the 7.9 score itself you may wanna buy something right now instead of getting that Hitachi SSD.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

ocz has created a sata SSD that operates at over 700MB/s, but, it does require its own raid card. hitachi imo is the winner because they created something that'll fit in any sata3 ports.

i really don't understand why sata3 isn't being used as much. if sata is backwards compatible, why not just use the fastest?

7. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Its the OCZ IBIS. Its insanely fast and insanely priced.
    From what I read though they have a 960GB drive for the low low price of about 2500 EUR.

8. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

The WEI is a pretty useless number tbh.

I'd like to know what controller they're using, but that information has been suspiciously left out of this news article. It's not even postulated what controller is being used.

9. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Hope its more reliable than their death stars were.

10. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

5.5W isn't very impressive for a SSD. Most energy-efficient high capacity HDDs manage about that. A good SSD should be around 2W power draw or less.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

SSD aren't about capacity and won't be for quite a long time. SSD are made for OS and apps not data storage

12. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

Windows experience index? Now there's an oxymoron.

13. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Nope.
    Physically fit, maybe. Work - not at all. You need a SAS port for a SAS drive to work.
    The other way round does work, SAS controllers are compatible with SATA drives.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Would surprise me a great deal if you see these in a retailer near you any time soon. I should imagine the vast majority of them are headed for HDS VSP and USP-V arrays (or have been living in them for at least a few months, the may have only been just announced by HGST, but HDS have offered SSD options for their kit for quite some time)

15. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

Why do you care what windows thinks of your storage medium?

16. jamesislush

jamesislush What's a Dremel?

OCZ do a much faster drive, the Z-Drive. Top rated model is 2TB with read/write speeds of 1400/1400 mb/s. Insane speeds using MLC-Flash in an 8 way RAID setup. Not just intended for enterprise either, the Z-drive is 8XPCIe. Of course, you would have to pay over £6500 for the thing, but imagine how fast Windows would boot lol.

Tags: Add Tags