1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi claims leap in drive density

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 4 Apr 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

More bits per inch as HDD's go three dimensional! Hitachi have announced a new way of storing data on hard drives with a modified form of read/write head, according to this news.com report:

Hitachi Global Storage will come out with hard drives containing 230 gigabits of data per square inch, the company is expected to announce Monday, and that means 20GB iPod minis.

The company is expected to release the denser drives in 2007.

The density breakthrough represents a refinement in perpendicular recording. Today, hard drives record and store data in a longitudinal fashion, with the read/write heads scanning over a horizontal plane. In perpendicular recording, data bits are aligned vertically, allowing for more data to be squeezed into a finite area.

Put another way, data will go from being stored on a two-dimensional XY grid to living in a three-dimensional XYZ space.

More here

Wow. 20Gb in a microdrive, 1Tb on a regular 3.5" form factor drive. That's just an insane amount of storage on one device... And of course, a lot of data to loose if the damn thing crashes. I guess the only practical way to back these things up will to be running some form of RAID...

2. dozer

dozer New Member

cant wait for the new range of portable mp3/video devices

3. sheardjr

sheardjr Member

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
  4. gargoyle00

gargoyle00 New Member

I guess we will measure our format times in months now with those numbers... :wallbash:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

/me looks 12 months from now:

Wow: 2Tb 3.5" disks and 40gig ipod minis...

Way of the world, and it's all good :):) Thing is - 80gig drives are £35 now and my family uses.. 10, maybe 20gig tops in their desktop PCs. And 40gig drives are the same price. There's like a bottom out limit at around £35 for a desktop drive, which is quite depressing - considering when you want something small and cheap. It would be nice if they concentrated on bringing 40gig disks at £15 to the market, or, better still - solid state disks. Capacity is nice but the 50 year old rotating disk is a serious bottleneck to the system still. All that Mhz makes SFA difference when it's waiting for the sodding drive to access the necessary data. What's that? I cant cache a bit torrent file AND defragment AND try to load firefox? So much for ****ing multimedia or multitasking.

Like GOO said - backing up 1Tb, forget DVDRs. Ive already got 400 DVDRs in a CD wallet.

6. Hamish

Hamish New Member

:drool:
    Terabyte disks...
    as for backing up, HVD holographic discs :D

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Wow, that is pretty amazing, technology has caught up fast, I remember my first 4GB HDD 8 years ago, but some would have MB hdd's not so long ago.

But formatting huge disks would take forever.

8. 3.5SE

3.5SE New Member

With HD DVD and Blu Ray right arond the corner you'll be real happy to have a 1TB hard drive in your box when you're building a HTPC. I've got enough trouble backing up my two 300GB drives in my media server.

9. calnen

calnen moo!!

If you've got the media backup up anyway, why keep the data on a hard disk too? Surely you might as well just have it on DVDR's? (Thats what I do anyway)

It just seems stupid to have 400GB on one disk that can fail - doubly so if you've backed the thing up anyway! You only have to put a disc in the drive FFS. Perfectly happy with my 80Gigger and a cd wallet :)

10. 3.5SE

3.5SE New Member

The point of my HTPC is that it's basically a DVD server. I don't need the discs as the movies are easily available on my hard drives. I do need a backup of those drives just in case one fails. I back up to DVD-R's then thow the CD wallet in the closet. I only need the discs in case the drive fails. The beauty of a DVD server is the lack of discs and the ability to watch any movie in my collection at the touch of a button on my remote.

11. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 New Member

i now have 1tb in 6 drives... would be nice to get it on one... lol wonder what speeds would be though..
    Neo

12. richard-wong

richard-wong New Member

raid 1 is defintely the way forward! i am just waiting to get my 400GB SATA drive so that i can raid it with my current configuration so that i won't have a HDD failure causing me breif! but if u have 1TB data on a single storage, raid 1 is necessary, and also becomes economical really!

13. Hamish

Hamish New Member

fixed :p
    i currently have 700gig raid 5 array which works very well for me, back up stuff to dvd-r, then delete old stuff as it gets full
    i dont like having to delete stuff but its the only way at the moment :(
    4 1tb drives in raid 5 would be awesome :jawdrop:

14. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Best-advert-ever.

"Get Per-pen-diculaaaarrrr"

:hehe:

16. XUntitled

XUntitled New Member

That was amazing....

17. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Haha. I have a feeling Hitachi are feeling pretty chuffed with this achievment. Good for them. :D

Tags: Add Tags