1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi launches 500GB laptop drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That's quite impressive! There seems to be a real trend at the moment that to increase capacity/capability, just stick in another one! Works for CPUs, Graphics Cards and now Harddrives it seems.

3. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Not sure I'd want it in my laptop just yet - I get by just fine with the 40Gb drive that's in there. But a pocket sized usb drive with 500Gb storage - now that would be sweet. The 320Gb Seagate drive, power brick and mains cable that I currently haul about when I have to take large files someplace, well that takes up most of my bag. Of course I'd probably lose a pocket sized one knowing my luck.

4. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I'll wait for perpendicular technology to arrive from Samsung but good work Hitachi!

5. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

Although that makes for better tech faster, I can't help but feel that that's a problem. Instead of researching on how they could make more storage in the same amount of space, they're just shoving more platters in, and not really advancing much at all.

I could stand to wait a little longer for the drive that does more with less.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Impressive.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

impressive but not enough, i was waiting for perpendicular technology on this one.....

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

hmm.. awesome that means the 250GB HDD will be cheaper so I can put one in my PS3, maybe.

9. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Nice... but as already said, I'd prefer it in an external case. My next laptop drive will be solid state rather than platter based. The future, as soon as the prices get competitive, for most laptop users will be SS. Although I can see the day with a 32 or 64GB SS drive in one bay and a 500GB in a second bay that is only spun up when necessary.

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow I want I want >_< but I would prefer it in a an external model that runs off of USB power only now that would be ab awesome portable drive. ^_^

11. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Sweetness.

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

wait... would that draw even more power than regular drive? and Asus wanna put 2 in them? thats.... kinda beat the purpose of a laptop isnt it? not to mention the weight...

ah, maybe im just a minimalist kinda guy when it comes to laptop :)

Tags: Add Tags