1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows HL2 too short? SPOILERS! -don't read if your not finished

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lacuna, 15 Dec 2004.

1. arrowswake

arrowswake What's a Dremel?

I just finished it for the first time like three minutes ago, and I'm slightly confused, but I have my own theory I'd like to pose:

Breen said something about being hired, so I'm wondering if perhaps Eli and Alyx / maybe Klein hired Gordon through the G-Man? That's the only part of the whole equation that just makes no sense to me, why Breen would know he was hired...

And also, who was Breen talking to at the very end? After Mossman sets you free, and you are riding up in that final elevator with Alyx, Breen is talking to some alien-looking creature. Is that creature anyone/thing specific? Or is it just assumed that it's Breen's master...

Can't wait for expansions to come out for this... The graphics are great and everything, but I really like how the game completely consumes you. Though this isn't my favorite game of all time, I think I've never felt so much like I was actually IN a game, before. That's why I'm waiting for expansions. I think the source engine is great, and that really helps with the whole immersion thing, but as long as I still felt as "involved", the game could use Doom (The original...not Doom 3) graphics, and I'd be happy. And I just can't get that from deathmatch or CS:S... I want more story...

Wow, what a discombobulated post... So, any thoughts on my theory?

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

This is my take.

Blackmesa labs was experimenting with teleportation, everyone knows that. Somehow they opened a portal to another dimention (beginning the xen invasion), we all know that as well. I believe that Breen made some kind of immunity deal with the invading force; the Xen AKA the Combine. I think that the creature he was talking to at the end, before he fled to the elevator, was some kind of high-ranked Xen authority. Gordan just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, I don't believe hat he was hired, but it is quite aparent that the G-Man is holding Gordan's leash. I hope that clears most of it up.

The only truely confusing aspect of the Half-Life series is; who/what is G-Man, and who is holding his leash.

3. arrowswake

arrowswake What's a Dremel?

I hope they plan on explaining it, and it better not be some s***ty explanation, either.

Like when The Matrix Reloaded came out, my and my friends were all hyped up about Revolutions. (MATRIX SPOILER AHEAD!!!! not that anyone hasn't seen it yet, who's going to...)

We were all wondering how the hell Neo took care of those Sentinels in the real world, and we had all these theories, and we thought the worst the Wachowskis could do was the "box within a box" theory (Having a matrix within a matrix or something to that effect, explaining why neo is different, because he's The One in BOTH matrices), but then they came out with Revolutions, and used the cop-out explanation of "Oh...er...well, I guess his powers extend beyond the Matrix? ::shrugs shoulders and looks at other Wachowski for backup::"

Heh, a little off-topic, but I just hope that HL3 doesn't turn into the third Matrix movie...

4. ~Link~

~Link~ What's a Dremel?

5. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

I kinda still havent decided if HL2 is good.

Story is definitely "out of this world" and so are the graphics except some overly exaggerated little things but they just slap me in the face being a 2D/3D artist.

<3 sounds. Especially with volume turned up and subwoofer on... Living in apartment building, subwoofer on and volume turned up high AT MIDNIGHT isnt the greatest idea. But well worth it with the striders blasting at me. :D

6. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Nice site, good read :)

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I spread out HL2 over a longer time, taking breaks between chapters. I do think it's quite short, but considering the quality of the gameplay I think it can be forgiven. The ending was interesting to say the least. I was expecting a sudden cliffhanger, but not at that point.

I think the chapter selection from the main menu was a bad idea. Knowing how many chapters you have before the game is over is just depressing.

8. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

i cant really comment on the length as i didnt play on Hl1 but i think its a pretty good length although i did play it quite slow and only finished it last week and on the point if the ending i think its pretty good and as said it does leave add on possibilities, Ice

9. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

I finished it a day ago. It is the best game I have ever played, but the end... is sad I think... Its all about saving Eli Vance from Nova Prospekt, about revolution in Cities and it is ending with big BOOOM which kill all citizens in city 17, including people which you were trying to save... Strange

10. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Well i completed this less than an hour ago and i feel royaly raped by the ending, i actually feel like its half a game. Although i got deeply involved in the story line and loved the game the ending just really dissapointed me, where G-Man says something along the lines of i cant say when you'll find out what all this means etc.. i just felt like there should be more ya know? Definatly cant wait for the next one to actually find out what happens to alyx (when she just starts dissaperaing i felt sorry for her :( ) and everything else :thumb: .

[EDIT]And yes i know "Holy Thread Revival batman!!" but i thought it would be better to put my opinion here than in a new thread :)[/EDIT]

Death

11. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

heheh... took me like 2 hours to find my friggin 3 batteries (took about 1 hour to figure out thats what i do to do)

also... i must say.... i wish i could me Alyx irl :) hehe
    overall great game... took about 35-40 hours to beat but the end w/ the upgraded gravity gun was freaking sick :)
    lol later (waits for hl3)

12. therealdave

therealdave What's a Dremel?

i started to play hl2 and then left because of exams thinking i had days more to finish it i come back to finish it in 2 hrs :( was not a happy bunny...

oh btw

freeman = gman and has come back to help him thru it all mwhaha you all know it going to be something like that the hl story is just beggin for some more twists and turns

Tags: