1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home energy

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GMC, 15 Jun 2015.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thank you!

summer is best for generation - long days from 8am or earlier to 8pm or later for those panels to keep putting out!

winter though , be prepared for days when you get nothing from the roof.

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

noted - ta :)

Typical British Gas - 24 hours after submitting a metre reading their resident autonatron emailed back to ask if I could provide a photo of my meter reading as it was significantly higher than they were expecting.

Good job I learnt my lesson and took a couple of photos when I did the meter reading :)

If anyone out there is looking at feed in Tarrif providers, I've found British Gas to be AWFULLY unhelpful so. Nothing but slow, unhelpful responses, corrupted PDFs received (despite them being fine when sent and still fine in my Hotmail "sent items") and basically much frustration. They don;t even pay you electronically - they pay by cheque! How quaint....

Wonder how they'd like it if their customers all paid by cheque.....28 days later...?
    money grabbing/hogging 5h1t35!

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

[​IMG]

that's today (5 mins ago) - its still putting out over 270w even though the sun isn't directly on the panels

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I got my maths right - cheque for £196.11 arrived Saturday morning.

I'm loving all these long sunny days we're still having.

We've just had our leccy bill payments revised down further now confirmed as £70 per month cheaper than they were, and that's without a change in the unit rate. Very happy we purchased those solar panels.

5. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

@OP and anyone else interested - If you are interested in self sufficient off the grid houses, check out the Zero Carbon house made in Birmingham - http://zerocarbonhousebirmingham.org.uk/

I have been to it and its flipping fantastic what the architect has done with such a small space.In fact he lives there with his family! Maybe you can talk to him as well. They usually have open days once a year. IN FACT, i just checked and there's one on 12th September, in two days time. http://zerocarbonhousebirmingham.org.uk/2015-open-day/

For directions, its not very far from any of the city centre train stations. You can take a bus, cycle to it(about 30-45 minutes if you dont know the shortcuts) or take a cheapish taxi ride. They serve food and have talks the whole day. If you are hungry you can simply walk up to the main Balsall Heath road,Alcester Road,and go to Ort Cafe, http://ortcafe.co.uk/visit-ort/, another beautiful place where the food is not too expensive. I hope you have a good time :)

Last edited: 9 Sep 2015
  6. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?