1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home network wirh 2K Pro and XP Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alan, 11 Dec 2004.

1. Alan

Alan New Member

I have a D-Link router connected to a cable modem for internet access and I run 2k Pro on my desktop. I have just bought a laptop with XP Pro and am connecting to the router with a wireless access point. Internet access and connections are just peachy but I can't see the local network on either machine. I have file sharing in place, am using the same workgroup name but neither can see the other. As I understand it, the router is the problem because the hardware firewall closes all the ports and I think this is why I have no network connections.

If this is indeed the problem, which ports should be open and, to lesser extent, how do I open them?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. Alan

Alan New Member

Problem solved. I'll try to make the next one more interesting. :duh:

3. rooroo

rooroo Member

can you please say how you solved this, as i am having the same problems

4. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

It shouldn't have been the firewall on the router...that controls the traffic coming and going on the WAN port, not the switched ports.

5. Alan

Alan New Member

Apologies for the huge delay in answering. Norton Internet Security was blocking it so I added trusted computers and used the IP address range that my router uses. End of problem. :duh:

Tags: