1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Home office setups?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigM2006, 1 Feb 2016.

1. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I'm moving role into a semi-home based IT consultant, and looking for inspiration in regards to my home office setup.

I know there is a a "room and computer" thread, but not seen anything dedicated to home offices.

Any pictures or pointers?

Cheers
    Mike

2. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Keep it clean, isolated and organised.

Ideally with good lighting and seating.

Mostly working from home requires good discipline. Work the hours you need to and no more, don't think because you're home its ok to work more then you need to. And remember to take regular breaks from that computer screen. Treat it like you would at the office.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Add to that plenty of desk space and filing space, Remember a good backup system if your a consultant and a seperate server for Dev/testing

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

More than one screen.

Having a dedicated email/test screen is so helpful I can't discribe.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If you have kids [and even if you don't] - a lockable door...

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Don't skimp on the office chair, and don't think just because it's comfy in the shop for 20 mins that it will be comfy for the occasional 90 hour week. Make sure there's a decent return policy if it turns out it isn't for you and don't skimp.

A non-work area is a nice addition if space allows, also. A comfy lounge chair and something distracting - book, magazines, console. Music whilst working isn't for everyone, but if it works for you, then probably best not to skimp on that either.

And a stack of trays. My office was in chaos before I got a stack of trays, despite being very limited in what I use for paperwork. I have: work filing, personal filing, expenses - makes everything so much tidier, and I generally find I work better in a tidy office.

And you can never have too much storage space.

A few years back I would have suggested to stick strictly to office hours to maintain work/life balance, but these days I find I'm able to work more flexibly without going too much in either direction (i.e. either slacking or losing out on too much personal time) - sometimes I'll work unsociable times when stuff needs doing, but I'll always make it up to myself with time in lieu. Just be careful, as it can be easy to slip into workaholic or slacker, depending on which way inclined you may be at any one time.

Source: Someone who has been a home/field based consultant for around 5 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Feb 2016
  7. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I likes, where did you get that?

edit: The chair and footstool btw

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

9. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the replies, some good points and good ideas!

10. electronicfox

electronicfox What's a Dremel?

Plenty of desk space, and more than one monitor.

As has been mentioned before, a good chair is important.

Maybe not to everyones taste, but I also have my pet birds in the office. Aside from providing some ambient noise, theyre also entertaining when I take breaks. They get free-roam of the office but mostly stick to their designated birdy-area near the window. If you get office birdies, make sure you clean up regularly.