1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Home Server Motherboard and Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexg, 24 Jan 2012.

1. Alexg

Alexg New Member

Long time lurker on these forums. I'm looking for a bit of advice on a motherboard and processor for a home server. Ideally after something that will allow plenty of expansion in the future and uses very little power when idling. A 4 bay NAS looks like its about 250quid and I think it must be possible to build something more flexible for less than that (or is it?). Kit doesn't need to be new - quite happy to look on ebay etc just wondering where to start (very keen on keeping the power use and price low). I'd be running something like freenas on it and just using it for streaming video and audio, normally only to a single device at once so nothing demanding. It would probably start off with a single 1.5tb hard drive (as I have one lying about) installed and then expand once Thailand recovers... Thanks in advance for any help recieved.

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl New Member

If you want to build your own you can go down two routes:

1. Cheapo hardware and higher power draw
    2. More expensive hardware and lower power draw

You can pick up old Skt 775 Celeron mobo's and chips for peanuts, and the power draw would be pretty low, around 40-60w with a regular 300-400w cheap PSU.

Or you can get something like an Atom board or H61 ITX board and a G530 socket 1155 sandry bridge system, couple that with a Pico PSU around 90-100W and it will draw 20-30w but cost more up front.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

How about AMD Fusion/HSA? Offers all the room for expansion you'll ever need (in terms of connections, anyway), is very affordable and also packs plenty of performance?

EDIT: if you don't need the performance, Atom is a choice, but those boards tend to only have PCI-slots and 4 (or under) S-ATA connections... The A75-boards come with 6 connections and PCI-e for faster controller cards.

4. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Have you looked into the HP ProLiant Microserver? 4 bays and a 5.25" bay so you could add a 4x2.5" adapter to it. Also quiet and very very low power draw.

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

A basic H61 board and socket 1155 Pentium or Celeron should do exactly what you want, very well priced too.

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl New Member

Fusion is also a damn good choice too, far more power than an Atom setup and will idle with the same wattageness.

Microserver is also a good choice, especially of they are still doing the £100 rebate that would make it around £120 if I recall correctly. They do draw around 45w though.

7. Alexg

Alexg New Member

Thanks for the replies - the fusion option looks perfect, completely missed that one in my searchs so far.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  8. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member