1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Home Theatre / Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarthBane, 3 Jun 2011.

1. DarthBane

DarthBane What's a Dremel?

Long time reader 1st time poster! :lol:

I'm looking to build a gaming pc, but I would also like to be able to watch tv (freesat) through it as well, I've been reading around for a fair while and am still unsure on which parts to go for.

I'd definitely like to go towards the 2500k route but apart from that I haven't a clue!

I also have no idea on monitor, my pc is currently hooked up to a 22" tv but I would prefer a decent monitor. unfortunately I don't have the space for a dedicated monitor and TV.

A slightly larger monitor would be nice but I'll keep my options open.

I built my first pc about 4 years ago so its completely obsolete and sounds like a jet engine! apart from the dvd drive which I'll keep.

I'd also like a case that's pretty plain as I'm planning on modding it. :dremel:

Budget: £800, £200 for monitor, although if the budget is short I'd be open to saving up a bit longer.

Main uses of intended build: Gaming / TV

Parts required: all except dvd drive

Previous build information (list details of parts): n/a

Monitor resolution: 1080p

Storage requirements: 1tb minimum

Will you be overclocking: yes

Any motherboard requirements: not fussed with sli or crossfire

Extra information about desired system:

If I've missed anything out let me know!

All help, advice, criticism is welcomed! :clap:

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What sort of mod are you planning for the case if you haven't a specification yet? Are you thinking along the lines of water cooling or something?

3. DarthBane

I'll just be doing a cusom paint job and some etching on the case.

I have considered water cooling but i dont have the confidence to give it a go just yet!

4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

5. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Mate if you're using it for a home cinema as well as gaming, I'd say you need to invest more in the screen.

Might be an idea to hang onto a current screen that you have and save up for a larger IPS panel screen, like the U2711

6. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Hauppauge Nova S2 is a decent freesat card. combine that with DBViewer for a more interesting way to browse channels, but it integrates well with media center as is just using the base drivers.
    I have the P8P67 Pro mainboard and assuming it has the same memory controller as the standard P8P67 I actually find it hard to recommend as it seems very fussy about memory config.

7. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

Most media is 1080p so I don't see much point in getting a larger screen unless you sit quite far away from the the monitor. I would reccomend this.

8. DarthBane

Thanks for the info guys - Can anyone else recommend a monitor or would I better off with spending the cash on a tv and scrapping the tv tuner?