1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Home Theatre PC Buyer's Guide - Q1 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Feb 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Having just reviewed the Akasa and been woefully disappointed, we've changed our mini-ITX case recommendation for something suggested by the guys at mini-ITX.com. :) They say the Jou Jye is awesome, and they know their stuff!

2. Vhet

Vhet What's a Dremel?

But you left the CPU cooler description the way it was <(O_0<)

"The other downside of the Enigma case is that it's exceptionally difficult to find a quiet, very low profile CPU cooler"

Peace.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

thanks, fixing now.

4. Zider

Zider What's a Dremel?

XBMC recently added vdpau support to main branch, and the nVidia driver got it months ago.. besides, you can't really say "plays 1080p" or "doesn't play 1080p", since it's not the resolution that's eating CPU power but the bitrate.. :p

5. Sparky

Sparky What's a Dremel?

I recently purchased all the recommended components in the article to build the "High End Gaming Full ATX" with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R as the foundation. Problem is, when I got near the end of construction and attempted to insert the Asus Xonar HDAV sound card into its slot, it would not fit. The tail end of the card intrudes into the first two memory slots making it impossible to have a memory module and sound card in place at the same time. Makes me wonder if anyone has actually tested this configuration as was described in the article. It clearly will not work with this compliment of components. Looks like I will have to start over with a different motherboard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Does the G45 board outperform the E5200 paired with this board from Zotac?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well bugger me that is an obvious oversight! Those memory slots are awfully low now you come to mention it.. :( Maybe the UD3P would have been better - then you could have used the lower x16 slot as an x1.

Apologies.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

stonedsurd likes this.
  9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Thanks Bindibadgi. Looks pretty neck-and-neck from where I'm sitting, so I guess I'll roll with the Zotac, for the extra WiFi :)

10. Sparky

Sparky What's a Dremel?

11. Sparky

Sparky What's a Dremel?

Now you tell me!

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you bought it recently you can return or exchange it within 14 days in the UK. (Providing you are in the UK)

13. Sparky

Sparky What's a Dremel?

I'm in the US. Bought it by mail order too long ago to return.
    F.Y.I., The UD3P won't work either. In order to put my Asus audio card in the only suitable PCI Express x1 slot, I would have to put my Sapphire HD4870 video card in the leftmost PCI Express x16 slot. However, that slot is running at x8, not x16 as required by the HD4870, so I'm screwed there too. Any other suggestions for a comparable motherboard that will fit my situation?

14. mhnyborg

mhnyborg What's a Dremel?

What revision of Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H is used? there is 3 revision: 1, 1.1 and 2.0

I have a problem getting the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H in Denmark can I use another Gigabyte motherboard like GA-MA78GM-UD2H. I think it's very confusing with so many Gigabyte motherboards with nearly identical specification.

Hope someone can help me out.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The UD2 is the more recent one - it's got Ultra Durable 3 tech and some revised heatsinks

16. mhnyborg

Thanks for the answer, then I just go with the UD2

17. mhnyborg

When can I and the rest of the world expect a Q2 HTPC guide

Tags: Add Tags