1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home Wi-Fi network - Best setup with Airport etc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guinevere, 19 Nov 2012.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hi

My current setup is this:

BT Open Reach Modem (For BT Infinity) > BT Home Hub 3 > Apple Airport Extreme + USB Drive & Printer sharing

I need a wi-fi repeater (or second network) as it's impossible to get a really strong signal from a wi-fi point in any one location. I used to use a BE there modem/router and the AE to extend it but the BT Home Hub 3 is a big ol' pile of grud and doesn't like this.

So I'm looking to replace the BT Home Hub with something else... something that works, but what? My options are:

1) Another Airport Extreme
    2) An Airport Extreme

The AE can't currently extend the network of the HH3 (BT piece of crap) and there's issues with the two networks I've got setup currently that are too numerous to go into but all come down to the bugs in the HH3.

Here's a diagram: (Single level property. Not to scale and missing a few rooms! but good enough for this purpose)

[​IMG]

BT = BT Gear that can't be moved from this location
    AE = Airport Extreme + USB drive sharing
    P = Laser printer attached to AE via cat5
    1 = Normal location for wi-fi attached laptop
    2 = Fixed location for wi-fi attached laptop
    3 = Fixed location for cat5 attached HTPC
    Blue dots = Cat 5
    Puple hash = Walls that are brilliant at blocking wi-fi

Thoughts:

I can't lose the USB drive sharing I have with the AE but could move the AE + Drives to where the BT gear is currently.

I can't attach either laptop via cat5

I can't lose the printer sharing I'm using with the AE, but could swap it from cat5 to USB.

Idea 1- Buy an Airport Express

If I move the USB drives from AE on the map to BT, I can swap out the BT HH3 for my AE and use a new Airport Express where AE+2+P are currently.

Does that sound viable? I 'may' lose a bit of speed because the express is limited to two streams vs three in the extreme and I've have to rejig things around a bit.

Idea 2- Buy a second Airport Extreme

Pay a little more and swap out the awful HH3 for an Airport Extreme which will work perfectly. I don't lose any speed, everything works as it should.

What do you think?

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

3. RocketPotato

RocketPotato What's a Dremel?