1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homefront - mixed reviews

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Nikols, 15 Mar 2011.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Until I read the reviews I did not even know it had a multiplayer part! Most of the stuff I saw was it being about a normal guy trying to beat the nasty invaders in a post invasion U.S. It even had me thinking (especially with some of the screen shots) that it may even be a fairly open world.

For once though I am glad that I saw the reviews before I bought it - sounds like Medal of Honor to me!!

Yikes - just had a quick look at the Steam forums for Homefront. Wow - the natives are not happy! Will invest my cash elsewhere - in fact I did already - Yakuza 4 coming tomorrow!

Last edited: 17 Mar 2011
  2. leslie

leslie Just me!

I have it and here is my take on it.

Single player has a decent story and idea, the execution however, is something we would have seen 5-7 years ago. It's clunky and dated, and the in game ads get rather annoying. Didn't we put an end to that idea years ago? Oh, and 5 hours? No way.

Multi-player is just another fps, think BF2 when it came out. Again, dated and buggy. There is nothing in MP to make it worth switching from Black Ops or Bad Company, it's just more of the same, only now with fewer guns, maps and people, and LOTS more snipers.

I want my money back.
    THQ deserves all of the flack they are getting. They spent more promoting a crap game than they spent building said crap game. The promo stuff looked great, but, unfortunately it's more hype and promotion than substance.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I dunno, I kinda liked burning down Tigerdirect :p

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I would agree, I was disappointed in the SP, partially due to length, but also due to the on-rails-COD-clone that it unfortunately is, but I can see the MP lasting some time. I don't find the snipers are an issue, as most of the games I play are Ground Control, and if everyone's sniping, they aren't going to win. The other point about the snipers is that while the sniper points are excellent vantage points, they are also very exposed, and with some of the killstreaks, like the drone and WP strike (I've taken out a whole group of snipers using that), being very anti-sniper, they aren't overpowered if you know how to move effectively. Also, there's plenty of cover around, and being able to go prone is a great help. They've prevented the dreaded dolphin-diving in COD games (and presumably BF2, though I've not played it), as trying to go prone while running simply results in you remaining standing.

The vehicles don't seem overpowered for the same reasons as the snipers. The ground vehicles are good enough to cause a problem, but the driver has to be careful, because they are vulnerable. While the helicopters can be very powerful, it removes the pilots from the main action, so they can't affect the battle as much as they could in, say Black Ops.

I think that, on GC at least (which is what the MP was designed for, the TDM was added for those who don't like objectives I feel), it's a very well balanced and fun game

5. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Game's going to be dead before the second patch.

The MP game itself is superbly balanced, hit registration is excellent, and there's a counter for every style of play. It plays like ARMA meets BF2 meets CoD4 meets America's Army, and has easily the best terrain of any MP FPS. The only thing that's come close to the level of detail and available cover are some maps from AA2, and is it oasis from BC2? And the perks, wow... they're superb - stack well, no gimmicks. They're what BLOPS/MW's perks should be like.

It's got some serious depth there, and if you can't slaughter snipers in any number of different ways then you're either doing it wrong or someone's dodgy. There's a good chance of the latter, because unfortunately, it's riddled with cheats they can't ban.

One guy is such a horrible cheat he's singlehandedly managed to clear loads of servers to the point of homefront forum internet fame. He shoots everyone simultaneously, through any and all cover. Even without him it's still mobbed with hackers and everyone's pretty paranoid.

If you're lucky you'll just have to suffer the paranoia that some dude with an awful score shot you through a wall. If you're less lucky it'll be some generic speedhacking aimbotter at 100-2.

I still play but it's already getting difficult to get into a game. There was only one Euro 32 player server with players in the early hours last night.

I really hope they fix the bugs, lock down the cheats, and put it up on a free weekend and sale. It's the only way I'm going to get a decent game of it in a couple of months time.

TL;DR

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  6. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I havent got the game yet but looking like its good I didnt right now at least, will wait for the steam sale..

Also I find it remotly funny that for a project with college I came up with a game pretty similar to this but with russians.. basically 2 stories, 1 russin where you invade america and then the other is set after the invasion where you have to retake america as the americans..