1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Homemade VR gear

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voluntary_Pariah, 13 Feb 2014.

1. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Hi guys,

This may be way, way, WAY out of my league but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can read about building and interfacing a Stewart platform system into a game?

I have done a little bit of research into the similar projects but they are a little sparse on details so I was wondering if you had found some more information during your internet travels

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Looking at the video those students seem to have taken a joystick which is controlling the game and taken the signal off of that controller to also actuate a set of pneumatic cylinders, rather than extract feedback from the game. Feedback such as the angle the plane is at for example. This is why it seems to be out of sync. It also seems like the system has no intermediate positions. Intermediate positions are sort of awkward to do with any sort of precision on a pneumatic system. So it appears that they only have full tilt left/right and full tilt forward/backward and thats it.

This sort of project is essentially integration work, which involves some electronics interfacing and some knowledge about industrial pneumatics.

Have you any idea what you would like to accomplish, how you envision such a system you would build yourself working? Remember this sort of system isn't going to be cheap, pneumatic actuators and valves are used in industry and come at an industry price.

A better approach would be to use servo driven linear actuators but the cost would shoot up.