1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homemade water cooling for everyone ;) - january, 2006.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by turpija, 5 Jan 2006.

1. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

dam thats a lot of pipe.
    looking very nice. cant wait till its finished

2. AmmoCell

AmmoCell What's a Dremel?

As others have intimated, this is extremely awesome! I have yet to get into watercooling, but your head-first abandon is awe-inspiring! I hope it all works great when it's all finished!!!

3. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Since all of your water feeds are coming out at the top of the res, and going out at the bottom, could you add a coloured oil to the res, it could look really cool.

4. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Like a lava lamp looks nice. for the res i would use that acrlic glue stuff that fuses the 2 part together it would create a clean edge but you would not be albe to dissasmble it with out breaking it

5. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

I was thinking about that, but don't know what liquid to use, and where to get it localy ... I'll do some research and see if I can get it ... and yes, it would be sweet :D

6. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

you could use silicone or somthing

seal 1 side on

then maybe a small strip of silicone, or those door seals or somthing

and sandwich that meterial in the other side

7. tanviper

tanviper What's a Dremel?

Update update! I admit, I thought this was going to be a stupid, waste of time when i first starting reading this work log. I've been surprised how it's turned out. Goes to prove never just a mod until it's done!

8. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

At first i saw the stack of uneven copper plates, it looked quite bad to be honest... But then somewhere on the road it all started to get really interesting, and it became one of the more ambitious project's I've seen here.

It's really great that you've stuck to your original idea, and also managed to make it look good. Excellent job, really looking forward to seeing more of this.

9. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i think i really liked the project with the grill he drilled

damn that thing looks fine ^^

need a CAM machine to make more of them ^^

10. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

I'll give you big props for this. I've done milling on lexan and that stuff pushes when it is being cut like you wouldn't believe. doing what you did by hand is insane, good job and keep up the work.

11. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

Reservoir is reasembled and sealed so it's time to put some water to see will it hold it inside ...

[​IMG]

... and yes, it holds ;)
    one slightly different angle ...

[​IMG]

Another major change. That manifold will be mounted where pump was supposed to be, and this will make some space on upper part of case, because all tubing will now go on lower part of case ..

[​IMG]

something like this ... and should look much better, as tubes will be evenly spread across available space ...

[​IMG]

As you can see I've used those simple plastic wire wraps to avoid deforming tube on tight bends, but it's not the best solution as that plastic wraps are pretty elastic. Much better would be to use a metal ring of which offcourse won't deform. And without appropriate rings and in good spirit od DIYers I've come up with perfect idea ;)
    Firstly remove isolation from some solid copper wire, it's 1.3mm diameter ...

[​IMG]

Then use a pipe of required diameter, or sligthly smaller and bend a wire around ...

[​IMG]

Cut the excess and wrap it around tube ... voila ! it works ...

[​IMG]

Next is playing with some wireing and some electrics .... first that nice scanner neon light is glued into place. Can you guess where is this ;)

[​IMG]

Still playing with wires and connecting switches and everything, as this is not my area it could looks weird and funny ... don't laugh yet, wait till you see it first :D

12. thedragon7786

thedragon7786 What's a Dremel?

it looks REALLY close the HD

13. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Nice work :)
    Looks like the ccfl is at the horizontal bar which runs below the psu to the front of the case.

14. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

Make sure those tube straightener dont touch anything lol

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

also, in the psu, use some cable clamps on the barbs, or if they leak you'll be a bit buggerd

16. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

been following this project from the start, awsome is the only word to describe it!!
    Well done in gettin this far hope it runs after all that work u done!!

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

have you got any idea how much all the copper has cost you so far?

other wise this is a great mod!!! most people have only made 1 block, but all of them is fantastic !!!

keep up the top work!!! ;-)

AJ>

18. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

2 Mankz_91: it wasn't that much expensicve, much more cost me those brass connectors ...

While waiting for friend to bring me relay for pump, I've watch reservoir and notice that one screw is pretty loose, so I've tighten it a little and then crack !!! :wallbash:

[​IMG]

I've put some water in to see will it leaks, and yes it does :wallbash:
    I reassembled whole reservoir and start repairing it ... while doing it I realized that it is way to sensitive and even if I repair it, it could crack very easily in transport or anything.
    So I've throw whole reservoir in trash and star building new one from proper plexi ... 10mm thick !

[​IMG]

This one shouldn't crack even if i kick it :D

[​IMG]

Mounted on case side.
    Capacity is now 1.5L, slightly smaller than previous (little more than 2L) but still more than enought ...

[​IMG]

And here is mine biggest work with electric ;) It looks quite junky but it works, and it would be totaly invisible ;)
    On right is transformer board from old scanner which power the neon light, and on left is two resistors for fans ...

[​IMG]

Back side of case ... Left from right - power for pump and switch (decided to use swich instead of relay so I can run pump when computer is off), fan speed control (3 speeds), and neon light .... looks quite nice ;)

[​IMG]

Reservoir assembled with silicone and connectors mounted. Have to wait silicone to dry so I can see will it leaks ... and it won't leak, just WON'T ;)

[​IMG]

:thumb:

19. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

looking good... cant wait to see this finished, could be like BladeRunner's by then! :D good luck!

c.u.later

20. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

The reason why you have 6 connecters in your reservoir is because you have this kinda of splitter right? So all your components go to the splitter and from the splitter to the reservoir.. am I correct?

And then one connecter to go to the pump > radiator > components..

Sounds like a good plan :) You've inspired me to make my own blocks aswell dude :thumb: I will be starting shortly on my new project :rock:

Btw check your pm