1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homestarrunner.com updated 12-31-04 SOON TO BE UP AND RUNNING!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bust_A_Cap, 12 Feb 2004.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

A much cheaper alternative is to buy boxing gloves...you could get some used ones or something at a pawn shop (or ebay) for nothing probably. Just fit the gloves over the existing speakers and cut out part of the glove where the speakers are at :thumb:

edit: only $7 here on ebay

Last edited: 16 Feb 2004
  2. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

nylon mesh that people use on their power supplies. Go to www.performance-pcs.com they have some smaller diameter mesh that I will be using to cover all of my external cables.

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Dont give up on the modding simply because the spray paint is crummy stuff! This looks too darn cool to give up on, so keep it up! Touch up your strongbad picture, since that looks too darn COOL to give up on! Keep up the good work!

4. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the compliment and i actually did a little touch up work tonight, i will post some time tomorrow about it, maybe have some pictures.

I was kinda trying to stay away from all the pre packaged stuff just becuase i am kind of an anti brand stuff kind of person. But i still may look into it. I may end up just painting the cable black or something.

The main reason why i wanted to make it out plastic was becuase that would blend in with the monitor really well. meaning that the shades of red would be same becuase it would be made of the same material. But i will check out those boxing gloves on ebay. Maybe there is some way that i could coat them with something, like the fiberglassglue stuff, that way they would be hard. Then i could just paint over top of that so that the red is the same both for the monitor and then gloves.

5. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good. :)

6. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

well, something that you might want to consider when painting plastics. use vinyl dye instead of spray paint (dunno what its called in the UK) you could use that on boxing gloves (given the right material for the gloves and all) and not worry about them being hardened w/fiberglass since vinyl dye won't crack if it gets bent. I used the stuff on my pc including cd drive fronts, and it works great. just my $0.02
    *edit* dunno about color matching the spray paint on the monitor though. probably get pretty close.

7. Bust_A_Cap

Update: Fixing Strong Bad 2

Update: Fixing Strong Bad 2
    As I mentioned in the last update I had screwed up majorly by using contact paper. But whatever is done can be undone….in the words of me. So I got o work thinking of way that I could fix my mess up. The two ideas I came up with were the two ideas that I have discarded when I was first trying to figure out how to get Strong Bad on the side of my case, the ideas of using paper stencils or masking tape.

I chose to use the paper stencil method because it was the easiest to do and I could a lot more rounded lines that way, where as with the masking tape it would be hard to get the right shape because I would not be able to see through the masking tape to see where I should cut.

The way that i made the stencils was by putting a blank sheet of paper over top of the prat i wanted to re paint then i rub a colored pencil over top of it so it made a outline of the area. This was possible due to the paint being layered so heavily.

A picture of all the stencils I used:

[​IMG]

As you can see I basically repainted all of the colors. And to my disappointment it still didn’t work. I got entirely to much over srapy and it looked like i had painted free hand with no stencil at all, as show here:

[​IMG]

Also i had the problem of the paint getting to thick and forming puddles, then it would run onto parts that i didn't want painted, kinda like this (this was mainly becuase i got to frustrated and put to much paint on):

[​IMG]

To my dismay I had to go to the last resort….masking off the areas that I wanted to repaint.

Again i apologize for the shatty quality of these images, i am trying to get some money together to buy a digital camera. If anyone has any suggestions on a good digital camera that is under $150(US) than please post. I have little to no experience with digital cameras, i mean i have used them but i don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Thank You!!!

8. Spotpuff

Spotpuff What's a Dremel?

Nice! Badass painting and stuff on the monitor too. You're right; without the background it looks bad but with it it's really neat.

Strong Bad rules.

Scroll button scroll button 1 2 1 2, if you come to my house then I can scroll with you.

9. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

did you use any kind of primer?

10. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Maybe if you dip it into some kind of glue or something...also, a cheaper way is to maybe do a paper mache thing, put glue on the glove then stick pieces of paper, when it hardens you can just paint it....not sure how well that would work though :blah:

11. Bust_A_Cap

I am not sure about which part of the paint job you are wondering about but, in the end it doesn't make a difference becuase i didn't use any primer for any parts of this project i have done so far. I found that primer is just kind of expensive and time consuming. Plus I wasn't going for a professional grade paint job...just a half way decent one.

12. Sinix

Sinix What's a Dremel?

Why don't you buy a roll of tape ? Just mask off what you're painting, and you shouldn't get those areas where the paint is missing/overlapping.

Looks like a great project, can't wait for more.

13. QuickOrbit

QuickOrbit What's a Dremel?

Don't give up! Your ideas are great for this mod. Just remember Coach Z and his struggle--- "Good Jorb!"

14. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

you are going to regret it if you dont use a primer. eventually that paint is just going to peel off.. its not that expensive at all and it only takes a coat or two.

15. Bust_A_Cap

I had no idea baout his but it is a little late to anything about it unless i want to spend 30 more dollars on srapy paint so that i can redo the paint job of my monitor, case, and keyboard. I think that it should be alright for a little while anyways because i put like 3 coats of gloss on this bad boy. But thanks for the pointer, i will make sure to use primer on the next project i do, or if i paint anything else in this mod i will use primer.

16. Bust_A_Cap

Update: Fixing Strong Bad 3

Update: Fixing Strong Bad 3

[​IMG]

Yes this is where I am doing most of this mod, I am thinking that this maybe adding to the stress a little bit and therefore it may mean that I need to clean up. Actually my parents are tired of having such a mess in the workshop. Hahahahahaha

If anyone was wondering what the real parts of my computer were doing at this time, here they are:

[​IMG]
    (see if you canspot the surprise, that being the part that is modded but has not yet been discussed)

So innocent just lying spread out on a piece of poster board…..on the ground.

Ok enough small talk and onto my attempts to fix Strong bad……for the 3RD time.

After the second failure at successfully painting Strong Bad on the side of the case, I was almost tempted to starting over but I decided that I couldn’t screw anything up by trying one last time at fixing Strong Bad. The way that I plan on fixing Strong Bad this time is by masking off the area that is the color that I want to paint. Like so:

[​IMG]

It took me forever to do this, well not really that long, like 2 das, but in comparison to the rest of the fix jobs, this is the one I spent the most time on. I also used A LOT of tape, I used the blue masking tape that painters use when painting a house. Worked great!!!!!!

[​IMG]

It turned out great, but unfortunately since I am using a good old fashioned “non-digital” camera, the film has not yet been developed. So I do not have a picture of the final master piece. I do however have a picture of something that I added onto the case. I painted the back part that goes over the back side of the case, red. This way it will blend in with the body of the case. This probably makes no sense but just take a look at the picture and you will kind of understand.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I am thriled to death that there are so many other Strong Bad and homestarrunner.com fans otu there!!!!!!!!!

I promise that as soon as i get these picture developed i will post a picture of the finished case shell.....or whatever you call it that i have been working on the most.

I have been doing other stuff as I was painting that i have not updated on so i will post some updates on that stuff soon.

17. Bust_A_Cap

Oh and also I fogot to add that I bought those boxing gloves off of ebay that TekMonkey suggested so a big thank you goes out to TekMonkey.

I am still not sure yet how I will use them...I know that I WILL use them just not sure what for yet. I have some basic ideas:
    - I know I want to put my speakers in them that way they blend in with the monitor.
    - I want to make them hard so that i can paint them and they will look kind of like the monitor, color shade wise.
    - Maybe putting paper mache over them so that i could have the basic shape of a boxing glove but without out all the fold marks of a fabric, that way it looks like really fake bosing gloves....or animated boxing gloves.
    - To harden them, someone suggested the use of epoxy.....that is still a option, not sure how i would do that though.

If anyone else has any other suggestions plrease post them, I am in need of them.
    Thank You

Oh and here is the link to the boxing gloves:

Boxing Gloves

18. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

you could use modge podge.. pretty much the same idea as paper mache though..

19. Bust_A_Cap

I have never heard of modge podge. Could you give me short explnation about it. One of my main questions is is it expensive? Also What color does it go on as?

20. Bust_A_Cap

Quick question.

I am interested in sleeving my cables...maybe, but i can't figure out how to get the connectors off the end of the cables, is there any trick to this, is there a special tool or something that you have to buy?