1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blogins, 16 Jan 2016.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i also agree, but considering i got 5 homeworld games for £30 there was no reason not to.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Still have the original 'Big Box' versions of the Ground Control series for PC tucked away! :D

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ha nice, I remember the ground control games fondly and the things that made them good were not recaptured in the RTS (or RTT) space until World in Conflict.

I only have 1 big box version of a game left, Westwood Studios Blade Runner, all 6 disks!

Good times :)

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Bought that a while ago to try it out, hadn't got around to it. Might be time to dust it off!

I have a 4 CD version that came bundled with an extra DVD-ROM. Believe that was bundled in as an extra thanks to whoever sold it off of ebay to me which was a bonus. Windows95 compatible so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get it running on a modern OS.

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah, that's the difficulty and what makes cheap COG versions worthwhile, as they have often been updated to work on several of the new OS since they were originally released. It was so cool to play Startopia again thanks to GOG, even though I have disk in my desk draws! It always reminds me how much more character older games had, even if many of them were technically unimpressive compared to some of today's titles.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Well that was easier than I expected! Some clever chap released a Blade Runner 2012 Installer that includes the original patch and some tweaks, worked with my DVD copy and made installation a breeze. More importantly the game runs without any messing about! Nice sideshow before the new Homeworld game! :D

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Excellent! Might give it a go myself at some point, the game had excellent atmosphere.

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice! Looks like he was given free reign over the game.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

urgh, couldnt watch it, guy doesn't know when to shut up.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I think like many youtubers he/she is like marmite. i like both him and jingles and am after their opinions so like to listen to the talk but I can see why others would not.

But compare him to someone like pewdidie, perdipie (what ever his name is) or jackssepticeye, both of whom who have vastly more subscribers but I personally find obnoxious.

Also, I'm sure manly helped make KSP as popular as it became and he does all the good sci-fi games ( and unlike most youtubers, speaks properly), he holds my subscription:)

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Totalhalibut strikes!

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Cheers for the heads up, preloading now.

I'm actually looking forward to this as I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Usually I've been following a game quite closely if I buy it. Worked out VERY well for Arkham Asylum, let's see what this is like...

14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Anyone know if we can unlock this early by using a vpn?

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not sure. According to Steam the official release is 17:00 hours on Wednesday.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

not long to go before we start combing the desert.

[​IMG]

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Looking forward to it. Seen Total Biscuits WTF is video, bit mixed with him as a youtuber, he is good for vashing the worse of the industry but can be a bit sloppy in his WTF videos.
    He did point out some fairly valid criticisms but some of them are just standard Homeworld things and didn't stop my enjoyment of the original game or remasters.

Also watched Unit Lost's overviews for the game and skirmish modes, again mostly positive.

I'm sure there will be issues but as long as on balance, there is more to like than not then it should be good!

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just played the tutorial and the first 'mission', which is basically a retelling of the original mission from Homeworld. Looks okay so far - has that chilled out Homeworld vibe for sure.

P.S. congrats on your 1,111th post Deckerd!

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just hit mission 7, i'm really enjoying it.

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah, they nailed the Homeworld feel and look!

1,111! In a thread about Homeworld! Surely tis a sign from the Great Maker Sajuuk himself :D

I just completed mission 7 late last night, like you really enjoying it.

They did an awesome job of making every level feel unique, quite a feet in a sea of desert!
    So far, loving the Music, the Voice work (including unit responses & chatter, with many nods to other sic-fi and games 'in the rear with the gear') mostly very nice graphics, good level design and a good story.

There are some odd quirks though, like how it run flawlessly in Ultra on my machine but sometime the sensor view lags randomly o_O
    Also the inexplicable lack of options for AA (just on or off) and AA is not always applied to in-engine cut-scenes or the cut-scenes have random blur in them.
    Also, some of the UI elements and complete lack of ability to rebind control is a horrible oversight, especially given the recent remastering and original games had these options, its omission is disappointing.

Not tried MP or Skirmish yet but so far, pretty happy with it!

Edit: Oh and more importantly, they nail the scale of Homeworld perfectly!

Last edited: 21 Jan 2016