1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Homeworld: Remastered Collection Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 4 Mar 2015.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

I should hope they do, some aren't as optimistic. I'm waiting for at least some fixes before I play through properly but I've not seen any news yet.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Meh, never played the original as I was a console guy back then. I'll wait for G-police to be remastered- I think it used the same or similar game engine... :D

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Given the fact that the reviewer didn't originally like the game and gave it an 80% I think admittance of implicit bias included this is a pretty great game!

4. Deders

Deders Modder

A reviewer with more experience with the original might have noticed the flaws. Then again having a fresh opinion might have made it an enjoyable experience without judging it against the original.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Ooh, G-Police! I thought I was the only person who remembered that. But a remaster would be better done as a remake, I fear. Then we could actually have circular domes.

For what it's worth I have the same problem with Homeworld as the reviewer. It's so cold and sterile.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The list goes on with many more small, tiny things. Seriously, it's nitpicking of the highest order. I mean really?
    That can be patched in seconds.

The issues for Homeworld 1 are simply the formations not holding, balance in terms of frigate strength and corvettes not circling the target. Pretty minor stuff which can be patched and probably will be. However, none of it stops Homeworld 1 being enjoyable to the extreme, it just means it is ever so slightly different to the original.

I got through the HW1 campaign without any issues. Some people are definitely being hyperbolic when saying that the changes have made the game impossible, because it isn't.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

I agree some of them are nitpicky but I still stand by the 4 I mentioned making the game much less enjoyable for me. I end up spending too much time doing fiddly things and micro managing so ships don't go on suicide runs that I rarely get to enjoy what should be a soothing spectacle.

Can't wait for the patch.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Ctrl-B closes build menu
    Ctrl-L closes launch menu
    Just like they were in HW2, same as Y for repair. That post on Gearbox forum reeks of those HW1 elitist who turned their nose up at HW2.

Formation also never stuck in HW2, as soon as ships attack, they break formation. Personally, as someone who still had HW2 installed when Remastered collection was released, I don't see this as an issue.

Personally, I feel gameplay as well as controls in HW2 are greatly improved. I'm glad Gearbox had decided to make use of a modified HW2 engine as well as unify experience between the 2 games.

But there are indeed game braking stuff that needs addressing:
    1 - Dust cloud is invisible in sensor view when AA is turned on. Generally all small space rocks are not visible.
    2 - HW1 fighters don't last long enough. In HW2 they die quickly because they are in squads, a squad with a single fighter left is back to full strength when docked. In HW1 RM, fighters are single ships but die just as fast.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

WOW - That homeworld lego Taiidan interceptor is amazing! Always liked the industrial yellow with red highlights they chose for that faction.

11. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

After only getting to the 2nd mission of the 2nd game and getting creamed...

Is it a tad broken? The same mission on the original wasn't an issue!

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

...no? Homeworld 2 is pretty much spot on in terms of difficulty, it's HW1 with some issues.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Moving from HW1 campaign to HW2 campaign, the single thing I missed was the pause after each mission to allow me to re-build my fleet and regroup.

14. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

I never quite got on with HW1, but HW2 is one of those amazing games that I always come back to every few years. Might have to pick this up so that next time I can enjoy the prettier graphics while listening to

"Frigate Lost"

"Frigate Lost"

"Frigate Lost"

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm enjoying the increase in difficulty for the HW1 campaign. I used to be able to make it all the way up to the penultimate mission without losing a single ship. Now I've lsot quite a few corvettes and bombers, as well as a few frigates. Still, at least I managed to nab all 26 assault frigates on the ghost ship mission!

Hopefully I'll complete the first campaign this weekend, then get cracking on HW2.

Tags: Add Tags