1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Honey I shrunk the PC Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloodburgers, 26 Aug 2013.

1. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Ok so the missus is now fed up with my pc case "taking up all the room" in the living room and whilst the case is large it isn't as bad as she makes out.

However i am willing to cede on this point and start looking to find a new home for my components to inhabit.

Ideally i would like an htpc style case however i am aware that fitting all my components in may pose a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a suitable alternative?

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It would be useful to know what case you currently have so we know what is considered 'too big' for her indoors.

I take it your PC is housed next to and connected up to the TV then?

3. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Apologies i thoughtut was in my sig oops.

It is A CM Stacker 830

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

If you want something that will take your current setup then (its ugly but) I found that a Coolermaster 360/361 is the smallest ATX case around that takes a full GPU. Might have to double check on GPU length though.

For a classy alternative there is a very small Lian Li ATX case as well.

However I would look into getting a MATX or MITX build if you're not worried about cash.

5. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

yeah its a shame because i just rebuilt my pc so i wont be swapping components again soon

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

It wouldn't matter anyway, there are no M-ATX or M-ITX AM3+ boards based on 9xx series chipsets (only a couple of very basic 8xx based).

A good number of cases will be smaller than a Stacker, so try:
    Bitfenix Shinobi (lots of colours and types available, but the biggest of these)
    Corsair Carbide 200R
    Lian Li A05-B - better and earlier variant of the below, as you don't have to remove the HDD cage to fit long GPUs.
    Lian Li A05FN-B - will need to remove the HDD cage (screwed in) to fit GPUs longer than 280mm, if you've only got 1 HDD, that can go in the 3.5" slot at the top, so you can remove the HDD cage.
    Lian Li A55-B - newer version of the above, not huge room for extra HDDs either, but slightly smaller and a better use of space.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

There are full sized ATX HTPC cases around which are about the size of a home cinema amp and would fit under your TV. You wouldn't need to change or downsize any components then.

Silverstone have a few good models out. You will lose out on thermal performance though compared to a tower chassis.

8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Silverstone LC17. Have one myself, not sure if there is a newer version with 120mm fans rather than the 80/92mm in the version I have, but I can recommend it highly.

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'm going from a coolermaster Cosmos ll to a corsair carbide 540 exactly the same reason.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

10. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

i find the white r4 is neat. plus it's white, so it seems smaller/blends in better/is prettier

white r4

11. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I like both the silverstone and the r4. I have had some experience with the LC16 when i built an httpc for my dad and was impressed minus 1 minor gripe.

I agree that a similar case to the LC17 with room for 120mm fans would be really nice.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Your saying that like you had a choice in the matter ;)

13. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I do have a choice and the options are;

1) I agree "Yes it is too big you are right" - Result i keep a roof over my head

2) I disagree "Its not that big babe! Besides it doesn't take up as much room as your shoes." - its a long walk down to the sally army soup station. :duh:

14. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I have decided on two differing cases either the Coolermaster HAF XB or the Silverstone Grandia GD08.

I am slightly leaning toward the Silverstone as it will look neat next to other AV equipment once i install an infra-red receiver too.

15. Lance

I would do the same out of those two. Just remember that it will be about 15cm deeper than anything else in your AV setup. Even your Amp.

16. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Isn't the XB utterly huge?

17. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Large but small enough for me to hide in the Stereo unit under the TV

18. Lance

Have you checked that? I found that the Granada was about 5cm too long for my media unit.

19. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Yeah there is plenty of room backwards.

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I would go with the Grandia personally. It's not what I would normally go near (too understated and plain) but if I were going to have it under my TV I would want it to look like that rather than a PC case full of mesh.

I had a look and it looks rather lovely.