1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Hood replacement

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by C-Sniper, 28 Jan 2013.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX lens. I mostly use this lens at night and have noticed a lot of flaring issues with it and any light that is coming from the extreme edges and corners. This flaring is present even with the included HB-46 hood, which does not seem to be adequately large enough for the lens.

With that being said, I was wondering if I could replace the hood with another one that fits the same mm diameter of the lens? (52mm in this case). I currently do not have another 52mm hood to test this theory with which is why I am asking.

I understand the consequences involving potentially more vignetting and light falloff, however I, and quite a few other people, think that there is some space to increase without adversely affecting image quality.

Thoughts?

2. October

October Mariachi Style

If it's a filter thread screw-in type hood it'll be fine, which if I'm correct is the only kind available for that lens...?

You could alternatively employ a judicious hand where needed, unless there's light coming from all sides :lol:

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think eBay should be your first port of call - try one of the really cheap copy-hoods, if it works you can keep it or buy the official one. If it doesn't work/doesn't fit you've only spent a couple of quid. :)

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

IIRC the 35mm f1.8G DX came with a hood designed for 35mm on FX. The hood doesn't attach to the 52mm screw thread, it is attached to the outside barrel bayonet mount.

You should be fine with a lens hood designed for 50mm because you are on DX. However, finding one that works with the lens' bayonet mount will be an issue, because Nikon bayonet mounts are slightly different even when they are the same size.

Try a camera shop or friends, see if you can try out other lens' hood. Those 52mm screw-on hoods will make it difficult to use filters and even more difficult to mount/dismount.

With Canon, I was able to use a single hood between 35mm and 85mm. as long as the 85mm don't have light from extreme angles, it won't flare badly, so I just need to carry the 35mm hood. Also managed to use a single hood between 17-40L and 24-105L.

5. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Do you have a filter on it at all? They're notorious for causing flare at night.

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Hmm, unfortunately all my friends shoot Canon so I might just have to give nikon a call. Thanks for the advice!

No filter, just the lens hood.