1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors hooking laptop up to car/truck....

Discussion in 'General' started by Gascan1888, 13 May 2007.

1. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 New Member

i got a question for everyone. does anyone know of anyone know of any good software/cable combinations i can use to watch my trucks onborad computer and possibly tune it ? kinda like you see on some of the import movies were they plug it in and pull up all the stats on whats been going on.

2. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

3. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Not possible on a standard car. you can only read the diagnostic and all it is is some error codes.

Aftermarket engne management is required and what you describe is called a 'live map' where it is done or changed during the cars movement.

Id imagine that the F+F cars (where he does it in the movie) use some kind of HKS produckt as they cater for jap cars.

Id be no help with your truck though im into my small fords :D

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Yep to do the tuning aspect you'd need an aftermarket ECU, there are lots about but they are either vehicle-specific or require a fair bit of knowledge/time/effort to setup and get running properly. It's not cheap and only really worth doing if you're doing non-minor mods to your engine.

5. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 New Member

well i was looking for more like those little handhelds you can buy where you can adjust for tire size or tune rpm. but mostly im looking for something were i can watch the stats of my truck.

6. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

The link in the first reply is the kind of thing you want then. I think OBD-II lets you monitor a lot of the sensors.

Tags: