1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling HOT Northbridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by logonui, 4 Feb 2009.

1. logonui

logonui Minimodder

Hi All,

I have had my new system up and running for a couple of months now and I am haveing a few problems with the temprature of my Motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H V1.0, can anyone recommend some sort of cooling for the northbridge?

I have and ASUS HD4850 GPU in there as well so space is an issue.

Any Ideas?

Lee

EDIT: Currently it is not uncommon for the temperature to go above 100 C

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I have the same problem with a similar motherboard, the northbridge heatsink gets stupidly hot when the pc is idle and even worse when loaded. I haven't bothered to cool mine even though its the hottest part of my rig (as the mobo is going soon). I suppose the best course of action would be a small 40-60mm fan or an after market heatsink replacement. Would you consider watercooling?

3. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I have been thinking about watercooling for a while now, not too sure where to start though. I have been reading guides and things but there is something at the back of my mind screaming that water and electricity don't mix.

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Moving to watercooling for me was a big scary thing lol, as long as all your components are compatible its just a case of making sure those fittings aren't overtightened and the tubing is secured well. Once you completed a 24hr leak test with no problems it gives you the confidence plug in mobo and turn it on for the first time :) Using a non-conductive coolant is also another piece of mind.

5. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

The most my northbridge will hit is 81 and that is when gaming but if I look in the monitoring software of my utilities it will only send a warning when it reaches 109.
    I take this to mean that intel are quite happy for it to run at 100 degree's day in day out.
    If you can have a small fan blowing on the heatsink it will make a big diff
    I took a 80mm fan by hand and just pointed it at northbridge and it drops but 10 degree's in no time at all

If it worries you I would use something like this http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=498_242&products_id=11240 as it would be quick and easy to fit and if aligned close to heatsink I think you will get great results

Cheers

Nigel

6. shadow

shadow honky ponky

if no problems with hanging / resets so why to worry about this temperature ? does anybody takes care about temp of his car engine when it is working ok ?
    i think that you exaggerate a little

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Antec Spotcool or something?