1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Hotmods.net - Guide: Paracord sleeving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nutman, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hey, peeps.

This could be everything you ever wanted to know about sleeving cables using paracord.... and most info in this guide works 100% when sleeving cables using conventional (nylon) sleeving, too. Sorry about the massive video, but I wanted to tell everything I know.

2. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

I'm glad you did this, because I'll be sleeving Render3. Thanks Nutman!

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  3. Nutman

Cool!

I opened your worklog and subbed - I mean... it's got a cool design (although I preferred the windowed version to the last design you've come up with) and I want to see how you'll fare with the paracord sleeving job. ;)

4. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

I can always go back to the windowed design (Although I'd probably change it a bit) because I haven't cut the acrylic yet :)

5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Thats a really good tutorial! :)
    loving the noises for the pictures haha :)

6. Nutman

I enjoy videos that have these sound effects built in - it feels more like a professional result in that way, so I try to mimic that. Thanks for noticing and for commenting. ;) :thumb:

Mojo likes this.
  7. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

+1 rep for taking the time to make it! much appreciated...
    will be ordering some in shortly!

8. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

+rep for a very useful guide. Will be using this in the future, I'm sure of it :).

9. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Does anyone know of a decent supplier in the US? I'm looking for 100' white and red without breaking $20 inc shipping.

11. Nutman

#9: Good deal - told you it's cheap. ;)
    #10: Hm, beats me, since I'm no US resident - I also think that the red/white patterned Paracord is quite hard to find! :/

12. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

guys, a couple things you should know about paracord.

The 550 cord you have in the video is not real 550 cord so be careful if you ever decide to use it for it's intended purpose. Unless you buy it from a company that sells mil-spec stuff and it has MIL-C-5040H as a part number it's not the real thing. The real stuff only comes in olive drab(U.S. military green or "army green"), white, orange, tan, cayote brown, foliage green, and black. You can also identify it by the 7 innner strands. One of which will have a tracer line. The stuff I have, the tracer is red, green, and yellow. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. The original cord costs about $10 for a 100 foot. The aftermarket stiff you can get in any color or pattern imaginable. It's cheaper readily avalable at most survival stores. It also normally has 5-7 strands in it with no tracer but is still plenty big enough for sleeving.

here is a couple pictures of the stuff I have. I was using it to make some paracord bracelets and a collar for my dog.

note: the white cord I have is the original mil-spec cord. everything else was bought from the local survival store for $0.05-$0.07 per foot. Just depends on the color. It all has 7 strands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. coffinator6

are you looking for red/white or red and white seperate?

14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks for this guide (+rep). Really helpful !

15. Nutman

coffinator6: Thanks for the info - I guess that Rothco are fooling some americans then?

Because this is the stuff that I used.

16. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Yeah, I don't really know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I meant Red and White separately, 2 rolls, 100' each.

17. Nutman

18. coffinator6

Im not 100% sure its not to mill spec because I haven't seen it with my own eyes. But I am 99.99% sure.

here is a site you can look at that will give you a little more info.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/693904-MIL-C-5040H-Type-III

and my local survival store didn't know the stuff they sell as real paracord isnt "real."

oh and I hope you didn't take my original post as an insult. It wasn't meant that way. It was more of an informative post. I reread it a little later and realized it could be taken two ways.

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

can this paracord stuff be gotten in larger sizes as to be able to sleeve more than one wire with it? maybe being able to sleeve speaker wire?

20. Nutman

Hm, I recognized it as being informative - maybe slightly besides the point, since the video was all about using paracord for sleeving, but since I also mentioned the breaking point of Paracord, I think that you info was valuable - so no worries. ;)

I've never seen it in anything but 550 or 400, but I guess that woven nylon cord could come in various thicknesses - but it probably won't be labelled "Paracord", but more likely as "Survival rope", or something like that.

Try Tadgear, rei.com, SupplyCaptain or something similar. Any Army surplus store should know about products like that, really.