1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Hotmods.net - The Scratchbench - FINISHED 01-01-2016

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nutman, 20 Mar 2012.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Haha, I just had a sniff and I can confirm that that is NOT the case here - smells like plain ol' cardboard to me.

2. Nutman

Slightly off topic, but I think I mentioned before that I had to finish the test bench in 30 days, due to a gaming weekend.

Well, of course that didn't happen, so I had to buy a case for the gaming weekend - also to be used as home for all the hardware, until the test bench is ready. So, I ordered a Fractal Design Core 1000 and got a Fractal Design Define Mini delivered! I'm not complaining....
    Also, I bought an XFX AMD Radeon 6970 graphics card - I've sold my 6870 and ordered stuff from EK. More on that in the next update (I hope).

[​IMG]

Ok, back to the build...

Got a package from Latvia - I wonder what's in it???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit heavy:

[​IMG]

Yup, Henrik from CUDS.dk had finished cutting and bending the main parts for the test bench:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henrik even sent me 2 of everything, except for the radiator holders, so I'll be able to make a mistake and still live. Nice!!!!

It looks like one of the radiator holders took a beating on the way here, but nothing I can't fix. The material is 3 mm. thick aluminium.

Let's see how it will sit together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's starting to look like a test bench - and yes, I do realise that the project name probably doesn't fit anymore, since I'm not really using that many scrap parts (except for the mobo tray), but getting other people to help me build this thing... ah, whatever. Got to keep focusing on the objective!

Looks like the top plate fits spot on with the mobo tray - don't you just love when your measurements end up just right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, a shot of the bending brake in action - old tool from Denmark that Henrik's got there. Awesome!

[​IMG]

At this point, I'll start drilling some holes to screw the frame together. More on that in the next update. Thanks for watching.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice parts & nice heavy manual brake. :)

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Looks great Mads! shame that the only piece that you didn't get 2 of was the bit that got damaged! sods law lol

5. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Wow nice "little" tool to do some home bending lol

I've just sold my 6970 and got a GTX 680 but I have to say that the 6970 is a great card! :)
    Keep modding!

6. Nutman

Yeah, I can only dream of stuff like that - but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure a table top model would suit my needs better. :)

Hey Nate. Nothing I couldn't fix using the sheer and awesome power (riiight...) of my hands! ;)

I'm pretty happy with the 6970. It's got a nice power/consumption rate - not as good as the newer 7xxx series, but still good value for money.

I've decided to NOT use the Lian Li mobo tray, but instead mount mobo holders some and the Lian Li PCI expansion card bracket directly on the top plate.

So, here I am carefully measuring and marking where to drill the holes for the mobo holders:

[​IMG]

I put the Lian Li mobo tray on top, marked where the mobo holder holes are and made a cross by drawing straight lines from one corner to the opposite one:

[​IMG]

Used a centre punch for marking where to drill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a package from Slovenia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's see what we have here....

Black EK-FC6970 V2 Backplate:

[​IMG]

LGA115x TRUE backplate for replacing the factory-mounted LGA 1155 backplate - and one Black "EK Easy Mount" set:

[​IMG]

These things needed some "things" to be attached to - and here are these "things".

EK-FC6970 V2 block:

[​IMG]

Yup... Acetal and EN Nickel:

[​IMG]

Same goes for the CPU block - the newer EK Supreme HF:

[​IMG]

It's also the Acetal/EN Nickel version:

[​IMG]

So now all my blocks is this build are Acetal/EN Nickel. It fits....

Some coolant was needed, too:

[​IMG]

And new tubing - this is MasterKleer 15,9/11,1 mm. My usual weapon of choice:

[​IMG]

Looks a bit discoloured in that shot - which it also kind of is in real life. Not sure if I got a bad batch or if I simply forgot that's what it always looked like... hm...

All parts together:

[​IMG]

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice EK score Mads & I always messed up with center punches, wrongly went for the type where you hit it with a hammer instead of the auto type :duh: never did get around to buying the right type & should have, useful tool as demonstrated. :D

8. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

old design EK-blocks??? thats good!!!
    btw: not a problem for posting own postal address here?

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I thought so too but I'm guessing Mads by name, Mad by nature so he doesn't care if someone tried their luck because he's kinda mad & not to be messed with. :D:rock:

10. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Nice pics and nice old EK designs lol

Really want to see this thing moving ;)

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I live near Mads. Guess who's getting 8 pizzas delivered for on thespot payment tonight? :lol:

12. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

i knew that internet is dangerous place... but 8 pizzas??? what happens with this world!!!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

14. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

This is just great :D! Why didnt you make the ground of the testbench as one big piece ?

15. Nutman

The automatic center punch IS nice, as you can do the punching with only one hand. But it's not THAT hard doing the exact same thing with a regular center punch and a hammer, hehe.

Yup. I love the old design as much as I loathe the new CSQ design (which stands for Ceased Sourcing Quality, if you MUST ask...).
    And that's quite a lot.

Don't see any problems posting my postal address here - start sending me stuff to mod, alright? ;)

Yes. I'll decapitate any offenders with a worn-down cutting disc mounted on my bloody Dremel. :dremel: AND I won't be wearing safety glasses and hearing protection while I do it.

Because I'm just that mental. :eyebrow:

Me too. It's been waaaaaay too long, so I hope it gets done pretty soon. I also took in a client project, which WILL be prioritized before this one, but hopefully it won't take too long to complete either one of them.

Had you sent them before the Germany vs. Italy EURO2012 semifinal game (4 hours ago), I could've chucked down at least 3 of them! There's plenty of room in my fridge (sad story, I know) for the left-overs.

Because I don't have the tools for that and also because I want to be able to move the various bits 'n pieces around a bit.

I got just a small and quick update, telling about a rather crucial part of the entire project.

I drilled the holes for the mobo mounts and tapped them.

I was kind of nervous as I mounted the mobo - did I measure and drill correctly?

Oh yes, I did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next update: more drilling, tapping and fapping. Ok, ok - not so much fapping (actually, very close to 0% fapping, unless you like to fap when looking at hardware shots?). Stay tuned!

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe::p Awesome, made me lol a lot. :D

Mobo tray is looking spot on mate. :)

17. Nutman

I aim to please. ;)

Hehe... actually it's SLIGHTLY off, but only by a millimetre or 2. I wish someone would make an ATX mobo template. Maybe I should get an old, worn-out case and cut the mobo tray from it for future use? :eyebrow:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D

Once I make the full ATX motherboard tray & see if it's spot on I'll send you the model mate, the mini-ITX one is 100% spot on so hopefully the full ATX one will be also, the heck with it, I'll make that part next today. :D

Spent some good time multi checking the distances of everything on a good Lian Li one with digital calipers.

Made it & it works spot on Mads, if you want the model just say. :)

Last edited: 29 Jun 2012
  19. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hey nutman, I thought there was a 30day deadline to finish this build!
    Updates just tease us too much, that is no good for health haha.

Keep us posted!

20. Nutman

I say, I say, I SAY! :)

There WAS a 30-days deadline, but then I went and bought a rather cheap Fractal Design Define Mini case, which has suited me fine since then. So now, this test bench will not have a deadline, but I can take real good care of all the details - which is a good thing, I hear... ;)