1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How bad is an Xpress 1150 HyperMemory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Confused Fishcake, 15 Apr 2007.

1. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Hi, I'm considering getting a laptop with this card in it, and was wondering about performance in games/3d. It has 1gb of ddr2, and a decent dual-core turion (~1.6ghz.) I know that it probably is awful, but is there any chance something like halo/ut2004 will play? I run linux, but cedega/wine has no real overhead.

EDIT: Also, will things like google earth render properly, or will the card be too slow for that?

2. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Google earth would be fine, but for games I'd really look elsewhere - the cpu wouldn't be doing you any favours here either.

3. Confused Fishcake

I won't be playing any games seriously, but surely it is a fairly good cpu? Do you know what nvidia card it compares to? I only usually use nvidia.

4. genesisofthesith

The nvidia alternative at the moment would be the integrated 6100/6150 - although the nvidia offering has more functionality. The x1150 is essentially an integrated x300 - so its SM2.0 rather than 3.0 - although at this performance level that wont make a difference.

Its as good as/slightly better than the integrated graphics you get on intels 965g.

I'd try looking for a dedicated graphics card at the very least.

5. Confused Fishcake

That's better than I thought, my desktop has a 6600gt (I know, shame on me) but it is more than adequate for my needs. Should I expect a big decrease in performance from that?

6. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

7. genesisofthesith

Huge difference - the 6600gt would be at least 4x as good in old games that aren't entirely cpu limited, and would be far better in anything more taxing.

8. Confused Fishcake

:( I think I'll have to go for it anyway, tight budget. It will do, I just hope light 3d apps work properly (I mentioned google earth, also I assume all video files I might encounter should play?)

Tags: