1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays How bad is Dell U2311H for gaming really?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMU_Matt, 25 Mar 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

CANADA?! COOOOOOOOOL Me too!
    Ok ok this is what you will do, if you decide to purchase it.
    1- CALL to order.. but don't call anyone number.. Call Dell Small Business. Why?
    Simple: You get better warranty service. Laptops, and desktops for Dell Small Business is more expensive than Dell Home... because you pay for the better warranty service (local to Canada during office hours, faster response time (unless you call at lunch time, obviously) and more relaxed on their policy). BUT, for monitors it's same price. :)

2- Despite on special, on you can negotiate a nice price over the phone. Maybe an additional 50$ off, and free cables and such.

Now if they ask you if it's personal or business your purchase, say BUSINESS, else they'll transfer you to Dell Home, they follow with "that's the price, that's the price, I can't do anything" policy. If they ask you your business name, feel free to make up one, they don't check, and it's not against anything. I said family business, that was enough. Now, as I have my website with domain name, I pass it through that. As for e-mail contact, I find some execute like server is down or something, and pass it to my personal e-mail, and give them my gmail.

I cannot say about gaming class laptops, but usually the response time of a really good business class laptop is about 16ms. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that your monitor on your LCD screen is 8ms, because it's gamer class. Why I guess this? Because, laptop LCD needs to consume low amount of power, and needs to be very thin, so a lot of stuff is cut out, and expensive parts and technology are used to keep it thin.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Just for reference, I use an S-IPS panel from 2004, the NEC LCD 2080UX+.

Thing has a 16ms of response, but it's actually better than any TN panel just because it doesn't make me want to rip out my eyes due to terrible color reproduction.

The S-PVA 1980SX next to it is even worse with a whopping 30ms+ of input lag.

Honestly, for me personally, it isn't too bad as long as it's below 30ms.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2011
  3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

+1 on the U2311H having absolutely zero problems with any games. I play 1-3 hours per day (long term average), pretty much everything. Haven't noticed a single problem so far and I've had the monitor for about 4-6 months.

4. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Ive got Dell IPS panels spanning 6 years even the 2005 model doesnt get noticeable lag or ghosting, so no need to worry about the IPS is slower BS :p

5. Elton

Well IPS panels were slow...

In 2001....

Then again ALL LCD panels were slow in 2001, so that argument is bunk. Seriously only S-PVA panels really have issues about lag and even then it's marginal at best.

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i can say when i had that monitor it worked great. I got rid of mine since i upgraded the the bigger 2711. Also i had mine connected to my laptop at the time G71 Series. And it worked fine with most game si was playing in terms of performance.

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Just thinking aloud...

If a millisecond is 1000th of a second, then at 60fps (the V Sync cap) that means that a frame comes every 16.66 seconds.

On this basis, if the monitor has a response time of less than 16 ms then it is capable of shifting pixels quicker than the graphics card is able to display new images. Therefore theoretically lag and ghosting should be undetectable to the human senses?

Realistically who needs more than 60fps? Certainly, if you have a boner about image quality you will always run with V Sync.

In any case I have a an Samsung 226BW (many years ago favoured by Bit Tech and Custom PC). It's an old PVA panel and lag/ ghosting is undetectable.

Enjoy your new monitor, post back when you get it and let us know what you think.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Samsung 226BW is TN isn't it?

also, keep in mind that pixel response time differs changing between different colours, so for 60 FPS, worst case pixel response need to be better than 16ms to be unnoticeable in all cases.

but yes, current panels are fast enough, perfectly adequate for gaming.

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I've got an NEC 20WGX2, which is meant to have a pretty average/mediocre response time. Can't say I've ever noticed it.

10. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Good explanation of double/triple-buffering at anandtech, was linked in another thread here I think.
    Pretty long but explains why you'd want a higher FPS, ie when not using v-sync.

11. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Yes, I checked and it is a TN panel, still looks great though. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Having said that, when I have the cash I would like to upgrade to a 1080 IPS.

When being the operative word...

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Im about to order one in the next few days, its total price on Dell Uk is 207.84 with shipping included (but 3 weeks delivery time). Seriously dont fancy being shafted by Dell though if it has to be returned etc

13. jkresh

jkresh What's a Dremel?

I cannot comment specifically on the U2410, but I used a 2408 for gaming for several years before moving to a 30" (gateway 1600p), having used IPS and now PVA I can say that you might notice some slight delays now and again, but unless you are a professional gamer or really serious online competitor it is unlikely to make any difference in the gameplay.

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

(didn't read the whole thread) the U2311H isn't bad at all in gaming. It's awesome! It does have a slower response time than a TN panel but I can tell you right now that you won't notice the difference. It isn't even an issue. I seriously doubt it has any negative effect at all. I game on mine constantly and it's fine. I have very sharp eyes, and if I'm sitting there staring at the screen, intently trying to notice any lag, yes, I can notice it.

But I didn't have to intently stare at the 2311H to instantly be blown away by how superior it was to the 226bw I had and thought was great. Side-by-side I was dumbfounded by how terrible the 226bw looked. So in my opinion the 2311H is overtly better in every way that matters. If you stare at the IPS panel, yes, you can notice a tiny amount of ghosting, but when you're actually playing you can't tell.

It's an amazing monitor and probably one of the best you can get for the money. I will never go back to a TN panel.

Last edited: 2 May 2011
  15. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

Dell U2311H is so famous here in my country. There are no report of any problem until now.

16. Elton

Well lag or not, image quality is top notch, that's the key.

Admittedly for some, you will notice SLIGHT lag, but the truth is, you won't for the most part, there's just too small of a difference.

17. HD6950 P5430

HD6950 P5430 What's a Dremel?

I have that monitor and its part of the U2711 familly
    really good monitor, be proud...

oh and IPS for colour
    and LCD for response

truth is you want something in between!
    or a big wallet!

18. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Well I have read lots of good things about that model BUT ..............

..........I then watched this video today :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Q78-G1xHA

How does this compare to your own experiences? (to all the actual owners out there)

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't have the U2311H so I can't comment for sure on real result. Other users here have to confirm this.

I do know that the early U2311H (and so is the U2410), same for HP comparable models which features LG models, and several LG IPS monitors, suffered from the tint issue. LG have resolved the issue. On all models? I can't say. But it is fixed on my late A00 revision of my U2410, the U3011 and U2711 aren't affected, and no one seam to complain about it, same for LG IPS monitors and HP monitors that uses LG panels... so I guess all panels are fixed.

Back light bleeding is exaggerated with his camera, as cameras hates blacks.. so it tries to boost things so that you see more of the light. Back light bleeding on black is a problem with IPS panels. However, is it ONLY visible on pure black full picture. When I watch movies with big large black bars on top and bottom (like most not-cropped or filmed to 16:9) content, I don't see back light bleeding..
    Another problem is that he set the brightness at a high 50%. Default settings yes.. but very bright. I leave mine at 20-30%, the only time I set it pass 50%, is when I up very early in the morning and the sun hits my screen.

The back light bleeding only affects pure black color, and on all 4 corners, this is common on all IPS panel that exists. The U2410 and high models has a bit less of it visible as they are better IPS panels... remember the U2311H is an entry level IPS panel (but not bare bone.. you have a color processor, high grade CFL lamp and quality build). The similar panel image quality that you can see on the iMacs (without the glossy screen, and better whites (Apple uses white LED's))

For pure nice black you need to cash out serious money (and I mean a lot more than the U2410 price tag for the same size monitor with nothing special), for a PVA panel. But then you'll complain when you'll play action movies and fast action FPS games (other games and videos should be fine), as you'll see ghosting and input lag.. and this is no B.S like TN panel users claim on IPS panels, today... this is real. It MUCH improved for PVA over the last several years (like IPS panels), but it's still a visiable issue, while the latest gen IPS panel is not. TN back light bleeding affects all colors, including black and white.

The monitor reviews is revision A00 as mentioned on the video... I believe they are at or passed A01. So most likely fixed.

Last edited: 3 May 2011
  20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If you wanting it for gaming it won't really make a difference unless you playing games like COD as in close combat games but that could be your mouse, keyboard, screen and endless things

I remember going with a 775 socket with a 4890 gpu playing call of Duty 4 and getting shot and whilst dying the person shot me only then coming around the corner. I then changed to what I have now and also went from 20mb to 50mb connection and now I get accused of hacking a lot for that very same reason.

So what I am saying there is a lot of things to take in consideration