1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How did your online name come about...

Discussion in 'General' started by BRAWL, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

+1 to this lol :hehe:

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Going back to the ZX spectrum I had as a yoof, most games would only let you record 3 characters in the high score table so I shortened Mark to Mrk.

When I signed up to my first forum (PCZONE or CVG I think it was (both become the same place eventually)) it wouldn't let me use Mrk as it was either too short or in use (can't remember which now). Having watched Blade in the cinema the night before I prefixed that to become Blade_mrk and when I signed up here dropped the _.

I've used Blademrk ever since.

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The name of the road I live on. They have since changed it to a numbered road but it still appears in mapping programs.

4. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I always liked llamas, in middle school I joined aim and llama was too short or already taken. I had an ADHD moment and added "fur" to the end of llama. llamafur has stuck with me ever since.

5. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Mine started when I was being unoriginal looking for a new gaming handle in late 90's. One of my favorite bands is Iced Earth. I was filling out the account info and get to screen name. What the hell am I going to go by?... Look down at my desk and see the cover of the "Something Wicked..." featuring their mascot - Set Abominae. Type it up - Accepted. It later got shortened to SeT_NMO when I joined a Mechwarrior clan and later just SeT.

Also, yes. I know of the Egyptian mythology of Set/Seth/Seteh and knew as I was shortening to just Set, that's what it would most likely be taken as. The mythology side is still interesting but overall, I just like the short/simple name.

chimmy09 likes this.
  6. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

Have been a fan of the films/books and also the band for many years and far more repeatable than any real life nicknames I have had over the years :eyebrow:

7. CMW

CMW PermaFlabberGasted

CMW - Computer Medicine Woman
    Was hung on me by the head shipper at my first netadmin job after fixing a nasty print problem, settings changes, and creating some little batch files for him...he also knew my hubbie is part native north american (Mohawk/Ojibway).

8. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I am Tank Girl's biggest fan, I am half man half kangaroo and I like tea and crumpets.
    What else could I call myself. :D

9. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

A friend came up with it on the spot for a player name in Links9?. I like that people find it mildly offensive, but can't say why.

10. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Was reading something when i was younger around the time i started to play doom and quake online. Initially i used 'slayer' but i figured i needed a few name and having read 'dynamis' i thought it sounded cool so ran with it. Something along the lines of dynamite comes roughly from the greek dynamis meaning "power", "capability", or "force".

So thats me :)

11. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Ping Crosby came about years ago when playing Half Life online and you looked for the lowest ping, it just sort of stuck.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

So... It has nothing to do with Sidney Crosby ?

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

goldstar0011 is made of 2 parts

goldstar - brand of monitor was using at school when i decide to mess about on chat sites, needed name

0011 - when you try registering the same username goldstar sooner or later someone else has taken it, 0011 is more unique i think than 01 or just 1 at the end

Amazing story yeah! people expect something cool as i've used it for over 10 years

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

goldstar0011 is made of 2 parts

goldstar - brand of monitor was using at school when i decide to mess about on chat sites, needed name

0011 - when you try registering the same username goldstar sooner or later someone else has taken it, 0011 is more unique i think than 01 or just 1 at the end

Amazing story yeah! people expect something cool as i've used it for over 10 years

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I was online, trying to dream up a username for a site and chatting with a composer friend of mine. He had just let me hear his latest composition, but didn't have a name for it, and asked if I could think of anything. I couldnt even think up a unique username for this site I was trying to sign up to...

However, Natural Born Killers was on TV in the background, specifically the scene where the native american shaman told the story about woman and the snake

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood.
    She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow.
    She took the snake home and nursed it back to health.
    One day the snake bit her on the cheek.
    As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?"
    And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

So I suggested "A Viper's Gratitude" as a possible name for his composition. He hummed and hahhed and decided it didn't really fit...So I took it, used it as a username for that site, and have used it ever since because it's guaranteed to be a free on every site I sign up to.

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I got mine from my love of Drum n Bass, Words 2B Heard Meets Big Bud's Transmission

But also cos I used to be a habitual toker! :D

Last edited: 13 Feb 2011
  17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I fell in love with the works of Sonoda + Bean is just an unstoppable tank :thumb:

[​IMG]

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Probably doesn't even know who that is :p :hehe:

19. Erm...

Erm... Witty Title.

Do I even need to explain my choice ?

20. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Back in 2003 when I first signed up for eBay I was playing Devil May Cry on the PlayStation, the lightning sword and it's original owner were called Alastor. I thought it sounded cool, a lot better than Ifrit anyway which were the fire gloves. It's stuck with me ever since, although a lot of people think my name is Alastair because of it...