1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How do i get the plug off a SATA cable

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tumz, 26 Sep 2004.

1. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

Howdy..

Can anyone tell me how i can get the plug off a SATA power cable? I have the vantec cable sleeving kit, and i cant figure out how im going to get that plug off, because it looks nothing like standard molex plugs, but that you know :D

BTW. Is it possible at all?

2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I've got some 90-degree plugs sitting right in front of me, and you easily pop the cap off that covers the wires. I don't have any normal ones I can look at, ATM.

3. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

I cant say Ive ever heard of someone taking the ends off of the cable, I know that you can order SATA cables in many diffrent colors so that might be the best way to go.

4. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

you might be able to desolder the wires at the psu, slide the sleeving on, then re-attach the wires

5. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

The SATA power cables are either molded (impossible to take off an put back on again) or the kind that is obvious about how to get it off (just bend back a little tab and the pin slides right out). I'm guessing you have the first. It is either cut and splice the wires, or remove them from the PSU, sleeve, and re-attach it to the board. Unless you are opening up the psu for other reasons, I would just cut + splice the wires. Remember to leave about a 1" space between each cut that way the wires don't short, or the joints won't be in one place, making a bump from the heatshrink.

Code:
    psu|---||---------|plug
       |-----||-------|
       |-------||-----|
       |---------||---|
       |-----------||-|

the || is the splice.

6. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

Or you could just heatshrink them so that they wont short.
    Nobody should ever leave a wire unshrinked in a computer no matter wha !

7. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

i think im just going for the cutting the wire and heatshrink it together afterwards. When i get some heatshrink in the right diameter. Cant wait :)