1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks How Do I share NTL Cable ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boycee, 25 Jan 2002.

1. boycee

boycee What's a Dremel?

I have two machines,

1) Win 98 SE
    2) Win 2000 Professional

They are connected via a crossover cable, but can ping each other but not browse each others files, despite file sharing being on.

The file sharing aint to important, mainly im interested in the sharing of the internet.

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Which one has the connection to the net?

3. boycee

boycee What's a Dremel?

they now both have win98, all connected by patch cable.

PC 1 one can ping PC2 but cant see it in network neighborhood.

4. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

are the network protocols etc exactly the same (Ive had stupid problems like this in the past), and also what are the NICs on them (Network cards), i had a 10/100 NIC which was set with autosense (So it would put it on 10 or 100 depending on the other one) and it wouldnt work at all - If you use 2 identical cards your sure to have no probs at all

5. The1

The1 What's a Dremel?

make sure you have optain IP automaticaly on both of them. Also try windows Me if you have it.

6. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Why would he want both to obtain an ip automatically?
    If im correct in thinking win 2k pro can not act as a dhcp server even if it could then the dhcp server would need a static ip to act as a server on his network.

And telling him to use Win ME are you mad?

If you can ping each other then it seems your tcp/ip is working, just check your machines are in the same workgroup and if you are using a software firewall that you set the settings to allow the machines to access each other. Also the obvious is to do a find computer and enter the pc name you want to connect to, as file and print sharing browser on windows is slow.

Are you using netbeui for file/print sharing?

To share the internet you don't use file/print sharing try ICS or winroute etc. ICS comes with 2k and win98se just check the help files.

7. The1

The1 What's a Dremel?

I was only suggesting that cause win ME has built in internet sharing and to use microsoft's crappy one you have to use an auto obtain ip. That way they dont need to get any extra software unless they dont have ME, also i didnt read they had 2000 :D

8. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

not true....

9. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Wait a minute, im assuming say PC1 and PC2,

im assuming the PC1 has two network cards, one as the input for the modem, and the other a output for PC2, and PC2 kust has a input.

you need a cross-over cable, not a patch to talk between the two PCs.

once you get a cross-over cable you should be alright.

Make sure your give them similar names, like PCMASTER and PCSLAVE.
    and give them the same domain eg HOME.

Then give them IP addresses,
    89.1.1.1 = PCMASTER
    89.1.1.2 = PCSLAVE

Then on the master, obtain IP automatically (so it can find the NTL server info), then on the slave give it the specific IP 89.1.1.1 to connect to the internet.

This should help, as when the slave hits the master, the master will just hit the cable modem and head outwards from there.

10. PhsyCon

PhsyCon What's a Dremel?

Cypher they are ;)

Do you have ICS running? or a proxy of some kind?

11. Medic6666

Medic6666 What's a Dremel?

Get a cheap router/switch. You can then assign this to access the internet and then both machines can access the internet through this.

Good Luck

Medic6666

12. dhcp

dhcp What's a Dremel?

This seems very easy. For your server assign it an Ip address of 192.16.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1

Get a small program called Winroute and install that. Its freely available on the internet but after 30 days I think it loses some of the features without it being registered.

Once installed, it really is a doddle to configure. Just make sure that you select the option to allow DHCP to work.

On your client set the TCP/IP to automatically pickup an IP address.

You should notice that your client will also now be able to see your server without any problems and be able to use ICS which will be enabled through Winroute.

You must realise that Winroute is pretty good but only supports IP forwarding.

If you want to go one better you need to get Sygate. This is a more complex utilty than Winroute as you can setup blacklists/white lists. All is explained in the program itself so dont fret.

give it a try and let me know of the outcome.

Peace

Edited by Koolvin.

13. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Bill,

I edited, we do not promote Iilegal software cracking... if you like it buy it after trial version.

14. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

God, he is away for days then he jumps in from nowhere to protect copyight infridgment.

Nice to see ya back KV

15. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

I am always here watching and stalking! :eek:

16. dhcp

dhcp What's a Dremel?

Ugh,

I didnt realise about your piracy thing, well I did kinda, hence why no site names were given!

http://bounce.to/dhcp

:)

Thats my site, no warez, non illegal!

17. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

PIMP

Tags: