1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I update my BIOS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuvecoso, 27 Oct 2022.

1. cuvecoso

cuvecoso What's a Dremel?

I decided to upgrade my CPU from a 3900x to a 5900x. I have an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero mobo. Last night I swapped the CPUs and then my computer didn't work. It took me a minute but I realized I need to update my BIOS. I humbly admit that in 23 years of building my own computers, I have never updated a BIOS. Now I need to and don't know how.

I see there are several BIOS updates on the ASUS website - do I need to download all of them or just the most recent one?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Just the most recent one. You have a couple of options to do the update. You can do it via EZ Update in Windows, though I personally wouldn't. The easiest way is to use the BIOS Flashback system. Grab the BIOS file from Asus and rename it using the BIOS renamer that comes with it. Copy it over to a FAT32 formatted USB stick, then you'll need to switch the PC off and bob your USB stick into the Flashback USB port (it's the one furthest below the ethernet port when the board is horizontal). Press the Flashback button for 3 seconds (Flashback LED should blink) and then leave it until the LED goes out. Switch off and on, and there you go. You'll need to redo any BIOS settings you had changed before.

Should you have the manual (available on Asus website as well), it's all laid out on page 2-14.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2022
    ModSquid likes this.
  3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

'Spect, noiz. You've been helping out on here for as long as I can remember (since way back when you used to be red!).

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Just giving back bud! I joined to ask questions and got answers, plus I enjoy avoiding doing my job technical issues and working them out :hehe:

Yeah, the recolour was something I should have done years ago; green is my favourite colour after all! Haha.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Also, if you've got a 1GB or small capacity USB stick, use that, or you could create a 1GB partition on a larger capacity USB stick and format it as FAT/FAT32. Larger capacity USB sticks on some boards aren't seen by the bios updater, but as said, you can get around it by formatting a small partition on the USB stick (you can do it through Windows disk management tool - diskmgmt.msc).

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'd generally avoid ones listed as 'beta' releases too unless they're the only ones that offer what you need.

The most recent non-beta is the one to use in most cases.