1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors How do you know if you need an oil change?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 16 Jun 2006.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Point taken. :thumb: Need to find a good garage for sometime late summer then. The baldness is on the very inside edge, you cant see it unless you literally lock the wheels in turn or get underneath it. The main bulk has v.good tread.

The clutch doesnt slip on hills in high gear, I do that a lot to save fuel.

2. Drastik

Drastik New Member

not they dont recommend it, but some people like to hink it does something.

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

if you care here is a list of all the MOT things you should get a free retest on.luckly tyres are one of them

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

This is the gearbox on my mk1 mr2, looking up from in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Bare in mind it's a 20 year old car.
    [​IMG]

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You cant mess around with oil. It's the single most effective way of prolonging an engine's life. if you can't be sure when it was changed last, then change it anyway. You'll get conflicting figures regarding how often you should change it. I change mine every 3000 miles even tho Ford say 9000 is enough. Frankly I don't believe them. If the oil starts to become discoloured, I change it. If you change it regularly, it will help keep everything clean anyway. I can change my oil now, and it comes out teh same colour as it went it. That doesn't mean the oil is in the same condition as it was when it went in... just that my engine is clean.

5 to 6000 miles at most.

Dont bother rotating your tyres.. waste of time. If one tyre is half bald, then it's still half bald (and probably illiegal) no matter what corner of the car you put it on, and you're just ruining the other tyre in the same way. You have a tracking/allignment problem, or worn suspension components. Uneven tyre wear can be caused by inflation errors too (bald centre = over inflation, and bald outer edges under). If it's just one side, it's probably tracking error, or severely worn track rod end bushes.

Don't buy cheap tyres! They're the only contact your car has with teh road, and your brakes can only work within the available adhesion that the tyres can provide: Crap tyres = crap brakes.. not to mention poor grip, and general uncoolness.

[edit] Oil tratments are generally useless. The only additive I'd use is a flush additive you add immediately prior to drianing it. Wynns engine flush springs to mind... good stuff! Always change your filter as well.... or there's still crap in there.

Re: Synthetic oil being no good in old cars because of flushing out crap that holds seals together etc... genberally an old wives tale. If your seals and gaskets are being held together by carbon deposits, then oil choice is the least of your worries. Synthetic oil is fine in any car providing it's the correct grade. It's a waste of cash in an old car tho. A good semi synth should be fine. Mineral oils are fine, but then it's more important to change it, especially if your car has a habit of running hot, as heat breaks mineral oils down faster than synth.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2006
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well ill wear the other tyre down till I can afford to replace them both and take it in for a tracking fix, clutch fix, gear fix.

$$$$$$$$$$

7. Pookeyhead

Tell me about it! So far this month: £126 on a new alloy, £540 on tyres, £220 on service, £30 MOT, £570 on new driveshaft, and a further £350 on a new exhaust. The joys of motoring :hehe:

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Jees Im pissed on spending £50 on tools + materials for an oil change. :/

9. Rav

Rav New Member

Yeah i work in a VTS (MOT garage), but my point was that if you have a major fault that you know will fail an MOT, it's worth having it done so that you don't have to shell out for a retest fee (unless it fails on something you missed).

Looking at that link, looks like that by August VOSA might update the system (which is a real archaic POS btw) which might make life easier for all concerned.

Heh, we charge £44. Always a bit curious about how a garage can make any money giving that much discount on an MOT.

10. Pookeyhead

It's normally £44 but they do it cheaper 'cos they're doing the service at the same time.

11. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Bindi - try this for changing the gearbox oil... http://tinyurl.com/fkyp4

New oil can make a hell of a difference as well as changing the plugs and leads as well - I do them all at the same time as a full service, might be worth backflushing your cooling and getting some summer mix anti-freeze in there as well...

12. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

When the oil is cold the junk that you want out of the engine is no longer suspended in the oil and it dosent leave the engine. That is why oil is changed warm, and the oil dosent burn the skin, or at least when it comes out of my engine and remember to do the filter at the same time. Also 3000 miles is a good rule of thumb for any gasoline engine unless the manual says less for some reason. As for the shifting issue a change of gearbox oil would certianly help, it is a pain to do but is possible. In my experience when a clutch goes it just slips or grinds, what it sounds like it people talking about is their slave cylinder going, not the friction surfaces going. The airfilter is something easy enough to do and on many vehicles is a toolless job and if it looks discolored or dirty change it.

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

If you don't quite know if you need an oil change, then you do. I don't know about miles, but every 5000km sounds like a good idea. And yeah, when changing oil , change the filter aswell.

That gearbox does not sound that well, tbh. Try to determine if it's your gearbox or the clutch. It sounds like it's the sync-ring of the gearbox... but I'm not a mechanic.

Good luck
    L

14. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Get used to it.. Just put mine in for a full service, tracking realignment and aircon recharge - £270, and that's not bad.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:( But Im a poor poor student :(

Im expecting a lot on the next service, including tracking realignment.

I wouldnt mind having a go at stuff, on a car that didnt matter. But when I have absolutely no other way of getting to work other than my car I have experiences of breaking my PC which tells me "DONT **** WITH SOMETHING YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX!!"

I think the worst part of it is: finding a GOOD mechanic.

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

How easy was it to renew your oil or haven't you done it yet? I have have a Clio too (R reg) and I suppose my oil is gonna need changing sometime.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Will tell you when I do it on the weekend. Cant do it here in Oxford since the drive here is slanted and the road area of the courtyard (I suppose, for lack of a better word) of the estate I live on isnt big enough for me to stick my car on it for any length of time. Plus I dont have any tools or other car jacks here should something go wrong.

Want pics? I can do if you so need. Show you my "efforts" :p

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Actually, if you wouldn't mind that would be helpful! A project log on changing car oil :p

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Personaly I use nothing but sunthetic. The older car we owned had a gasket leak in the header cousing it to burn oil. Easy fix.

My father recently got himself 7.5K oil for his car. Personaly I dont trust it. Every 3k or 3months is my rule and I stick to it. BUt this is a gasoline engine. On a diesel you could go longer because of the nature of the engine.

As for transmission. There is a product around here called transmission honey. Its actualy a thick goy sticky oil. It helps prolong the inevitable in some cases but no gu8rantee. I would get a trany flush and then some take it to a good mechanic for a good rebuild if it needs it after that.

In any case sounds like poor maintenance is getting to your car. Lesson learned I hope.

20. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

If someone wants to see one on a gmc sonoma that could be arranged in about 400 miles, but I dont think that would help many of you too much. Its pretty simple though, drain oil, remove filter, replace drain plug and filter, refill with fresh oil.

Tags: