1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you mount the zalman northbridge cooler to a P4 northbridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamicon, 6 Oct 2002.

1. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

I have a EPoX 4G4A+ mobo, and because its a p4 mobo it doesnt have mounting holes, instead its got the funny pressure retention clip bar thingo :p . does anyone know how to attach a zalman passive northbridge cooler to it? They seem to only mount with push pins or epoxy(no thanks!)

thanks

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

umm you could i spose. The prob with p4 northbridges (the intel ones) is that its FCPGA format so has a teeny tiny core in the center of the chip. A zaliman wont be that much bigger then the standard p4 northbridge, unless yours is actively cooled then you could change it and probably mod the retention clip to fit. You cant really epoxy it cause its such a small core.

3. Riffer

Riffer What's a Dremel?

3m 110C Mounting Tape.

Have one on my Abit BD-7 right now.

4. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

You could always be an absolute lunatic and lap the northbridge core then epoxy the heatsink on and replace the standard sponge/foam shim around the core with a home made copper heatspreader :D or not!

As Bindi's said its gonna be awkward, and tbh the difference in cooling from the Zalman to the standard northbridge cooler won't be that big. Most Intel P4 motherboards have a passively cooled northbridge anyway, and bearing in mind the Zalman is designed to cool without a fan and reduce noise rather than cool any better, going from the standard passive northbridge to a Zalman won't really be any different. Personally I'd just use the standard heatsink with clip but clear up the thermal compound and replace it with AS2....

:)

5. Riffer

Riffer What's a Dremel?

I agree with WILL, mine actually runs a little hotter, something I will have to tweak a little.

Also, it is fairly easy to mount a 40mm fan on the Zalman, which may help cooling a little.

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

/me waves his 1U flag....

www.geocities.com/isibson/ducting1.jpg (you'll have to C&P cos geocities suck). See the northbridge cooler? All of £8.22 that cost (inc delivery).... ASTEd on, but ASTE is not difficult to deal with outside of RAMsinks.

7. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

i dont wanna epoxy on a heatsink, as i dont want to void my warranty just yet!

and i dont wanna put a fan on it because

1: im watercooling, and an extra fan will make it more noisy

2: its not a very good shape to mount a fan!

the problem is, it is a POS cooler, it looks like this:

Code:

____    ____
      |      |
    |_|_|__|_|_|

that sort of portrays it :)